Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ualdriver

H.R. 3371: The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

On Wednesday, July 29th, a bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced H.R 3371, The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009 in a House committee. While ALPA has been pushing for reform on many of these issues for some time, the Colgan Air accident has brought a sense of urgency on the issue of safety within the airline industry

The bill drew criticism from an industry trade group, the Air Transport Association, but has bipartisan support among senior members of the House. Air Transport Association President, James May, said airlines and regulators are already "fully engaged in determining the best course of action in response to the Colgan Air accident." A similar bill is expected to be introduced in the Senate.

A recent Wall Street Journal article states "It ratchets up pressure on both the FAA and airlines to embrace changes long demanded by pilot union leaders and independent safety experts."

Among many issues the bill requires the FAA to update and strengthen the regulations on pre-employment screening, pilot training, and the sharing of information gathered from aviation safety programs. Also, the FAA would be required to draft new regulations dealing with flight and duty time based on the latest sleep and fatigue research.

ALPA will continue to advocate our position on these issues and will be influential on the final language of the legislation. The continued support of our membership, through participating in "Action Alerts" to supporting UP-PAC and ALPA PAC, is essential in ensuring our voice is heard in Washington.
The following provides a link to the language of the bill as introduced:
DOT Reverses Bush-Era Policy on Cabotage

After months of ALPA’s efforts lobbying and educating U.S. regulators about the negative effect of Cabotage, the Department of Transportation reversed a decision made last year by the Bush Administration that allowed a series of charter flights by Air Canada to provide transportation for the National Hockey League’s Boston Bruins during the 2008–2009 Season. That decision opened the door to additional contracts the carrier has secured since, with the Milwaukee Bucks and the St. Louis Blues.

“You can chalk this DOT decision up to ALPA’s powerful influence in Washington, D.C.,” said Capt. John Prater, ALPA president. “With support from the AFL-CIO and the Transportation Trades Department, this win shows how we’re protecting our members’ jobs with brute force. Make no mistake, ALPA is the voice for airline pilots.”
In addition, ALPA National released the following Legislative summary on Friday:

Much Pending in Washington as Congress Leaves for “District Work Period”
August 14, 2009 -- The House and Senate are in recess for the remainder of August and will return to Washington, DC on September 8, 2009. Several issues of importance to ALPA members are pending.

ALPA is doing so much I had to continue it on another post :)

FAA Reauthorization Bill
As you know, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 915, the FAA reauthorization bill earlier this year. Reauthorization legislation is pending in the Senate where it may see floor action this fall. The Senate bill, S. 1451, was reported out of the Senate Commerce Committee on July 21. Both the House and Senate bills include important provisions to improve aviation safety and advance NextGen. Other ALPA priorities are included in one or both bills including: improved runway safety measures; requirements for a final rule on pilot fatigue; wake vortex mitigation and in-flight weather hazard detection systems; mandatory inspections of foreign repair stations; clarification of air carrier citizenship; authorization to keep Pacific island airports operational; a study on fortified cockpit doors for all-cargo aircraft; and a prohibition on tail-end ferry flights as it relates to daily flight time/duty time limits.

The Senate FAA bill includes additional legislative proposals on regional airline safety and the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee has passed a regional safety bill as well (H.R. 3371). These proposals will likely be merged during the FAA reauthorization conference. ALPA has been closely involved in crafting this legislation and is especially supportive of provisions to expand voluntary data reporting programs such as FOQA and ASAP (with appropriate protections for pilots) and additional training and mentoring for new professional pilots.
Captain Prater is scheduled to testify before the House Judiciary Committee during a hearing on competition concerns with international airline alliances. The focus of the September 16 hearing will be whether the Department of Justice should consider airline antitrust immunity petitions which are now the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation. Captain Prater will focus his comments on labor issues and specifically the UAL-Aer Lingus partnership.

Energy Reform/Global Climate Change
Energy reform and global climate change remain one of the hottest topics in Washington and around the world. The House passed the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (H.R. 2454) on June 26. ALPA did not support the bill and will continue to work to ensure fair treatment of the aviation industry within any potential “cap and trade” emissions system. Our message is simple: the aviation industry should be excluded from the pending climate change legislation. Aviation is unique in its global scope and precise energy requirements (jet fuel) and should be addressed through the more appropriate international aviation governing body – ICAO.

Oil Speculation
The other energy related legislative matter pending is the issue of oil speculation. ALPA continues to work with industry and related partners through the Stop Oil Speculation coalition (www.stopoilspeculationnow.com) to pass a strong financial industry regulatory overhaul bill to curb oil speculation by derivatives traders. ALPA is actively supporting H.R. 977, building on legislative proposals considered late in the last Congress. When Congress returns in September we will introduce a grassroots effort through ALPA’s Legislation and Politics page on the ALPA website to push for additional cosponsors and passage of H.R. 977.

HIMS Program/ FMLA Benefits
Two other items to note that have had recent action in Congress: the highly successful HIMS program to identify and address drug and alcohol issues among professional pilots has received funding for another three-year cycle in the transportation appropriations bill (H.R. 3288) in both the House and Senate. And the Flight Crew Technical Corrections Act (S. 1422) to provide Family and Medical Leave Act benefits to flight crews has been placed on the Senate calendar and could move in early September. The House passed its version of the bill (H.R. 912) earlier this year.

Health Care Reform
Even during the Congressional recess, health care overhaul continues to be a highly fluid and contentious issue. ALPA has strenuously and vocally objected when proposals to pay for health reform included taxing health benefits. It appears that this flawed idea has run its course; but we remain vigilant that any health care reform bill must not tax health benefits.
Clearly, our health care system needs reforming. Out of control premium costs affect our ability to bargain for better wages and improvements to other hard-earned benefits. ALPA views the health care debate in the following manner:

Do no harm -- in general, we have good health care plans. We’ve earned them. We will not support any overhaul which will require us to change providers.

No taxation of benefits -- we successfully beat back the first direct assault on this aspect. This is at the crux of the debate from ALPA’s perspective. The system is dysfunctional and must be fixed or we will pay more for our health insurance at the bargaining table. We disagree that workers should bear the financial burden for health reform. We have already been paying for it through higher premiums for decades. President Obama and the House Ways and Means Committee have proposed funding mechanisms that do not add financial burdens onto ALPA members.

Health care system overhaul has been a moving target. We continue our active engagement on this issue.

Executive Branch Appointments
Finally, there are a few key Administration appointments to note. The Senate has confirmed the appointments of Debbie Hersman for Chair of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and Harry Hoglander to the National Mediation Board. Both Hersman and Hoglander are experienced experts who have a long history with ALPA.

Plus the added benefit of representing the very pilots who's company continues to grow while our (UAL) 12 year guys hit the streets again. At least they have had enough forward thought to find some sort of job protectioooonnn.....oh wait I'm wrong they are doing nothing of the sort. All of this work in Washington means nothing to the folks in streets.

On the other hand you have groups like SWAPA and USAPA who will fight non stop for the LAST guy on their list. What a concept.

Executive Branch Appointments

Finally, there are a few key Administration appointments to note. The Senate has confirmed the appointments of Debbie Hersman for Chair of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and Harry Hoglander to the National Mediation Board. Both Hersman and Hoglander are experienced experts who have a long history with ALPA.

How did that work out for Pinnacle and their new TA?:rolleyes:

All of this work in Washington means nothing to the folks in streets.

Really? So none of those issues are important to a pilot on the street if they decide to come back? That's a little short sighted, don't you think? And how about the MAJORITY of us that aren't on the street? Do we have any interest in those matters?

On the other hand you have groups like SWAPA and USAPA who will fight non stop for the LAST guy on their list. What a concept.

So you're comparing (I assume UA ALPA) to SWAPA and USAPA? Are you kidding me? Tell me how USAPA is "looking out" for the majority of their membership? The only thing I see is them spending millions and millions of their members' dues money on lawyers and appeals that are getting their members nowhere, never mind the integrity issues of agreeing to binding arbitration and then un-agreeing when they don't like the results. If ALPA ever did that......

And you want to compare the relationship SWAPA has with its management team with the relationship UA ALPA has with its management? Seriously, how out of touch are you? How can you even draw a legitimate parallel between Tilton and Kelly with a straight face concerning ANY issue to save jobs? When a pilot makes an inference or implication like that it just shows how blinded you are with your hatred of ALPA that you can't even step outside your shell and look at a situation objectively.

Last edited:
How did that work out for Pinnacle and their new TA?:rolleyes:

You're blaming Obama and the NMB because the Pinnacle MEC and NC didn't set their sights high enough for their contract?

You're blaming Obama and the NMB because the Pinnacle MEC and NC didn't set their sights high enough for their contract?

So it's ALPA's fault? Checkmate!

So it's ALPA's fault? Checkmate!

Depends on what you mean by "ALPA." If you're talking about the people in Herndon, NO. If you're talking about the MEC members at PCL, YES.

Really? So none of those issues are important to a pilot on the street if they decide to come back? That's a little short sighted, don't you think? And how about the MAJORITY of us that aren't on the street? Do we have any interest in those matters?

So you're comparing (I assume UA ALPA) to SWAPA and USAPA? Are you kidding me? Tell me how USAPA is "looking out" for the majority of their membership? The only thing I see is them spending millions and millions of their members' dues money on lawyers and appeals that are getting their members nowhere, never mind the integrity issues of agreeing to binding arbitration and then un-agreeing when they don't like the results. If ALPA ever did that......

And you want to compare the relationship SWAPA has with its management team with the relationship UA ALPA has with its management? Seriously, how out of touch are you? How can you even draw a legitimate parallel between Tilton and Kelly with a straight face concerning ANY issue to save jobs? When a pilot makes an inference or implication like that it just shows how blinded you are with your hatred of ALPA that you can't even step outside your shell and look at a situation objectively.

First of all I meant ALPA national not UA ALPA. I have no problems with our union volunteers working for me. ALPA national NOT UA ALPA represents the OTHER pilots of growing regionals while our pilots hit the street.

When did I compare relationships with any union and their company. Try reading the post. I said SWAPA and USAPA (AKA USAir east I know) Look after their respective last guy on the seniority list. We do not "plane" and simple. I am quite sick and tired of flying with 11 and 12 year guys that will be shown the door and we (ALPA) have done nothing. Mean while I give jumpseat rides to wide eyed new hires (relative term) from countless regionals that are being used to replace us. Where is ALPA?? It used to be the union of the major airline pilot. Now??? As long as there numbers are good they do not care.

Latest resources

Back