• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What happens when you wash out?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These are all good posts. Not to beat a dead horse but tell your friend to hang in there. In my opinion...it's usually attitude. You have to know your emerg procedures/limitations/yadda yadda yadda. But you also have to KNOW that you can pass. If you go into a training program with a defeatist attitude then your foot is halfway in the grave. Now i'm not saying you should be cocky...but remember you get hired because the airline that hires you wants you to get through. (I hope my airline training department is listening.) It is hard work but just think of the majority that do get through as opposed to those that don't. There's usually an underlining factor. Either Checkride-itis, Family problems, a bad attitude, or just plain bad luck. You can never emphasize enough the importance of chair flying, practice with your partner, and even a little help from a higher power.(Please dont take that the wrong way.

Flex hope you're having a merry Xmas at netjets. We still miss you at the 'Link' (We used to sit in the pilot meetings and walk out in the middle because nothing was ever said that was of much use to us. Hope that gives you a clue on who I am.)

Take care friends,
Rook
600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'

If your friend really wants to fly for a 121 carrier, here is what I would recommend:

#1 Get his CFI tickets (if he doesn't already have them)

#2 Instruct until he's a real kick-*** Instrument Instructor

#3 Get a 135 job hauling checks or something, and establish a
pattern of passing checkrides. In this market, I don't think to many carriers are going to want to take a chance on him with his total time with the bust and subsequent dismissal.

#4 Realize that he is now in the same boat with all of us - waiting for that next job, which may not be a glamorous one.

I am personally very opposed to these fast-track programs for only about a dozen reasons, but I'm not going into it here, as someone has eloquently done so several posts up.

Your friend needs to realize that he hasn't really lost much ground. Instead, he was not able to take advantage of a 'shortcut'. This may require the swallowing of some pride.
Instructing in a Piper or Cessna to 1200 hrs, then another 300-600 in a piston twin may not hold much sex appeal, but he'll be a better pilot for it.

Very few people deserve the right seat of a regional airliner at 600 hours, IMO.

When I flew in Britain we had 600 hour first officers on the 737-800. They did great with the paperwork, good on the radio, and were really good with performance and stuff like that. You could tell that they had really given some time to the books. They were great button pushers and could make that airplane sing on an ILS approach. Put them out in the middle of no where and ask them to click the A/P off at 9000 feet and do a visual. After they got their jaw up from the floor they would try it and fall out of the sky. ILS approaches etc, are easy the real challenge is a visual approach. I am happy to see that on another thread about favorite approaches everyone loves the visual. I think the visual approachs are like girls, apple pie, and homemade icecream-American. It represents everything we stand for here, think about that the next time you cross the Mesbeth tanks for runway 31 at LGA. The rest of the world hates the visual, USofA flyboys love them. Happy New Year.

TurboS7 said:
When I flew in Britain we had 600 hour first officers on the 737-800. They did great with the paperwork, good on the radio, and were really good with performance and stuff like that. You could tell that they had really given some time to the books. They were great button pushers and could make that airplane sing on an ILS approach. Put them out in the middle of no where and ask them to click the A/P off at 9000 feet and do a visual. After they got their jaw up from the floor they would try it and fall out of the sky. ILS approaches etc, are easy the real challenge is a visual approach. I am happy to see that on another thread about favorite approaches everyone loves the visual. I think the visual approachs are like girls, apple pie, and homemade icecream-American. It represents everything we stand for here, think about that the next time you cross the Mesbeth tanks for runway 31 at LGA. The rest of the world hates the visual, USofA flyboys love them. Happy New Year.

So very true, really enjoy that visual into JFK at night, you know the one where you follow all those curved lights, spectacular and great fun.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back