Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surfnole

Hi,

I have a friend who was hired by a small airline. During training, he failed one of the simulator check rides and was asked to leave.

Is this the kiss of death for future employement? Or only for future airline employment.

Part of the problem may have been that he hadn't flown for a year. That year was the time he graduated from one of those express flight schools until he finally got hired.

Thanks for any responses.

In the old days

At my flight school if you washed out they normally sent you to Viet Nam.

Washing out in a sim is no big deal. Take a long walk, shed a few tears and carry on. You will find that most of the time busting out in the sim is due to lack of being prepared. The mind can only handle so much stimulus then it starts to shut down. You have to know your flows, checklist, emergency checklist, and anything else you may use in the sim cold, cold. That means hours and hours of chair flying to get the profiles and callouts totally down. When the time comes for the sim all you have to do is fly, which remember you are not current and the less experience you have the tougher it is to get re-spooled up. You failed the sim because you messed up(or your friend, you can give a copy of this to him)and you were not able to adapt to the circumstances. The next time around you will be amazed how easy it will be. As for an interview don't bring it up, if it does come up blame no one but yourself but assure the interviewer that you learned your lesson and you will be ready and prepared next time. Hint: once you know you are going to school get the limitations for the airplane and emergency procedures for the company. Have them down cold when you walk into class-relax and have fun. Merry Christmas.

more data...

What was his total time, multi, instrument and dual given?

What he does next will determine more than what has happened.

Although I have never washed out, I have busted a 121 checkride before. Like TurboS7 said don't bring it up in an interview, but be able to explain why you busted and what you learned from it. It came up in a recent interview of mine for one of the top regional airlines and I still was hired. It is not a show stopper but something that will have to be explained down the road. The main thing is to not dwell on it you can't change it only learn from it.

He has around 600 total, a couple of hundred multi and sim training for the RJ. I don't know all the details of his qualifications, but he went to one of this schools with the direct to FO programs.

This is something I wish anyone who was on the "fast track" would read. 600 hours total time...busted out of the 121 program...no wonder. He probably thought he had really lucked out when he initially got hired...and then look what happened. I have this theory...it sort of goes like this: When the regional airlines hire guys like this, they are not doing them any favors. I know it's hard to turn it down...but maybe there is something to be said for "paying your dues" hauling checks at night, flight instructing, etc. When an airline hires someone with 600 hours, they will produce one of two things: 1: a 600 hour wonder who thinks he is god's gift to aviation when he passes. 2.: a 600 hour pilot who thinks his career is over because he failed his first and only 121 checkride, and now has that on his"record". Please, for anyone out there in those ab initio programs, etc, think long and hard before you do it. For your sake and others.

Experience matters

It takes a certain amount of experience earned over a period of time alone with currency for flying to be truly second nature. That's what concerns me about some of these programs.

The commuters don't set minimum requirements just because of insurance or to frustrate impatient career aspirants. Flying 300-kt.+ jet equipment requires well-honed and well-practiced flying skills - something experience teaches. If you, at 600 hours or whatever can get past training and on the line, then you'll get that experience. Chances are extremely good, though, you might not pass. You just don't have enough experience. But, if you had been flying a while and come back at 1500 hours, although you are the same person you now have more experience, and the lessons you learned through that experience will come back to serve you.

I realize that I plug MAPD quite a bit. I like the program because it works, but not for everyone. MAPD people learn nothing but Mesa from the first day of flying. Just the same, I've heard of MAPD grads who wash out while street hires who never saw a Mesa checklist before training but arrive with 2000 hours pass. Airline class is a horse of a different color compared to flight school.

Finally, compare fire-hose initial flight training to not going to class all semester and then pulling an all-nighter to cram for a final. Your head may be filled with enough knowlege to pass the test. But, after you take the final, it'll all go away unless you keep using it in a less-intense setting. Now, if you had gone to class and studied all semester, and received the learning as given by the instructor at his/her pace, you won't have cram (too much) and you will retain the learning.

Best of luck to Surfnole's friend.

Last edited:
Sittin' around the hotel, it's x-mas...at least I've got flightinfo!!!

I know a couple of people who busted their initial 121 checkrides.
Unfortunately the worst outcome is that few to no airlines are hiring and that will be their only shot at flying 121 for quite some time. One thing I noticed is that most of the interns (at ACA) seem to do well in the sim and in ground school as well (no...I'm not an intern).

Also, a factor in completing sim training is the dynamics between you and your sim partner.

Tell your buddy to hang in there!!!!!

I don't think that washing out will be any factor at all, with the exception of washing out due to a bad attitude. I failed a final checkride at a 135 regional years ago, and I went right back to the applications, got another job no problem. Years after that I was hired by a major airline. During my interview I was upfront and honest about what had happend, and there was not even a second question asked about it. Use this washout as a learning experience, and move on, do not ever, ever lose sight of the goal! Take care, Happy Holiday!

Latest resources

Back