What happens to ACA if UAl files #11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Terry V.
Haven't heard anything from the UAL guys, but I'm afraid to jumpseat with them (I had enough of their mouths when we first started getting RJ's).
ALPA supports big airlines only (please don't flame me, this isn't the ALPA board) Reginal pilots only pay a small 1.9% of salary...It's doesn't even cover the cost of stamps over at ALPA National.
The poor guys at Allegheny (sp?) are picketting National right now for lack of service from ALPA.
I think ACA is in a good position now. Kerry and Tom are real smart crackers and always come up with great ideas; However, we may be back in the doldrums and have no movement for 4-5 years. At least no-one is in the right seat of the 32 anymore!!

I started school July 22. On July 29 I was notified that I was called back to active duty. It looks like I will not be back until Dec. Then this afternoon I was told that now that will be pushed back until Summer 2003. I am just hoping how soon this ends. I have all my pubs so that I can study while flying.
As for UAL, I believe alot of them are pissed because they will have to change the scope clause.

Terry V.

C141FE said:
Freightpup

I talked with Alistair a couple of weeks ago and rumors and you know how rumors are. It is said that they might by some aircraft from companys going belly up. Now its a wait and see.
The thing that worries me is that if US Air sends their pilots to fly CRJ's and that bumps the guys on the low end of the pole out. That does not seem fair, but I am hearing that ALPA is supporting it. Have you heard anything about UAL and us?

Terry V.

Terry,

ACA is an independent company and not owned by United.

You won’t see any ACA pilots being bumped by another carrier's pilots (United / Delta). Excuse me if I misunderstood your statement but it is nothing to be concerned about.

Well I am an ACA pilot and in a meeting 2 weeks ago, the notion of them rolling back such as that at Us Air. So yes there is some concern, maybe not at ACA, but if Us Air rolls back who is to say any of the ML groups will do the same.

Terry V.
CRJ/FO
ACA

Regional Jets as people love to call them as they cover the same routes as mainline are the lost love to the accountants to the airlines. The regionals will continue to grow and keep the balance sheet at the majors respectable..Keepr' safe.

Terry,

I certainly didn’t mean that there is no need for concern at ACA or at any commercial airline given the unstable aviation industry.

What I meant was United mainline pilots can’t be put in ACA pilot’s jobs. Again, if I am mistaken about your original question than please forgive me.

The financial health of United and Delta is of the utmost importance to everyone at ACA since they are ACA’s two customers.

It looks to me that the story of ACA and UAL is different then AA and AE's story. AA/AE owned by the same company. ACA/UAL are 2 separate companies. So it shouldn't be any concerns for ACA pilots to be bumped out by furloughed UAL pilots. I assume that if they want to work for ACA (which I might doubt - too much of a pay cut plus the many of them see themself as Gods ) they will need to apply and interview.
If UAL goes in Chapter 11 - my 0.00000001 cent worth - that will require strong restructure on UAL side. They will have to get rid of the old fleet(e.g.B727 etc) - that way under chapter 11 protection will be able to furloughe as many pilots as they want - no union opinion on that. If they do that, a large number of routes will be needed to be covered by smaller planes(smaller number of pax too) such as RJs. This is the place where ACA will improve its revenue by getting more business.
So it looks like because of general public's fear, airport's not to pleasant atmosphere, major airlines business mistakes combined with still the need for travel - the regionals will have their moment of glory very soon.
Salve e Vae victis

Lasciate ogni speranza lei che entrate qui. - Petrarca

to cattlepanel...regional jets are the lost love of the accountant..

this is attempt to have you clarify that statement...i read the other day that CAL lost 388 mil....while conex , which they have a 53% stake in ..and have gauranteed them a block hour rate for rjs with a built 10% profit gaurantee. .. earned 67 million... if CALs stakes drops below 53% , they can notify conex and sever this agreement, with a 12 month clause, and change the whole picture. To me, this says, that rjs , in a low revenue environment, can be a huge liability, these numbers bear that out.

as we know with accountants, they can make the numbers look any way they want to, so Rjs give flexibility, but I think the majors are worse off trying to own them and cover every segment of the market... if they did what they do best( fly coast to coast and int'l, then a good accountant would say, hey there's a ton of those planes out there to support our system, let s find the best deal.... Is that where you were coming from?

You shouldnt be afraid to js on UAL. The js is about getting a ride and helping out a fellow pilot in need, not politics. Keep politics off the js. I forgot who said it, but UAL got rid of their 727s only a couple months after 9/11. Its already been done, and wont help the balance sheet anymore.

I agree with all who say that the growth at we are experiencing here at ACA is bittersweet.

Latest resources

Back