What foods do you travel with?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SLFLYHI

I posted this on our crackpipe also, but wanted to solicit many opinions on what foods your bring on a 4-day. I'm not talking about powerbars - everyone has the emergency powerbar for those times when you get screwed out of a meal. I mean real food. Do you pack sandwiches from home, carry vacuum paks of tuna, trail mix, backpacking food, I'm interested in all opinions. I'm so sick of the food at our hub airports I don't think I can eat any more. If anyone knows of any non-hub airports with good, healthy food, please list them!!!

I don't carry any food with me on trips. Our longer flights are catered and in the hub I can eat at a nice cafeteria. At the layover hotel I'll go out and have a meal at a nice restaurant. That's what per diem is for.

I posted this on our crackpipe also, but wanted to solicit many opinions on what foods your bring on a 4-day. I'm not talking about powerbars - everyone has the emergency powerbar for those times when you get screwed out of a meal. I mean real food. Do you pack sandwiches from home, carry vacuum paks of tuna, trail mix, backpacking food, I'm interested in all opinions. I'm so sick of the food at our hub airports I don't think I can eat any more. If anyone knows of any non-hub airports with good, healthy food, please list them!!!

Buy a Food Saver and pack whatever you normally eat at home. I grill cheeseburgers and chicken breasts, vacuum them, freeze them and take the with me. They say you should still keep them cold even if they are sealed, but after they thaw (by the end of day 1) I don't referigerate them and I haven't gotten sick yet. You can heat in the microwave or boil the bags, which means you can cook in the coffee pots on the plane or in the hotel.

Anything you make at home you can take with you and the food tastes just as good; Lasagne, burgers, any kind of pasta, chicken, etc.

I used to take the packs of Tuna, usually the flavored kind, and wheat thins. Also a cans of deviled ham and some bread.

That's pitiful. Why don't you eat "normal" food?

Cause we're storing up for winter. Furthermore, our managment thinks we cost too much so we are hanging on to every dollar we can.

Our last President actually thought we got crew meals at ASA!!!!!!

I used to take hard boiled eggs and a little salt shaker. Cans of tuna and the condiment packs of mayo and relish. For the first day I would also eat a big salad that I packed with the dressing in a side container. Packs of oatmeal for the AM each morning. Lots of nuts and seeds to munch on throughout the day. Fruit (apples, pears, bananas) that wouldn't spoil.

If i brought something that could spoil that I didn't eat the first day, I would fill the sink with ice and towels and chill it overnight. Always worked great (because we rarely had a fridge in the room).

I ate normal meals whenever I felt like it, but having all of that stuff gave me the option not too. Then when I hit an overnight, I went for a run. I was able to stay in great shape and eat well.

Latest resources

Back