Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What ever happened with Mesa in JFK for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget that Mesa AGREED to this. Delta didn't force anybody into anything. JO Salivated at a chance for growth and overcommitted. THERE is the problem.

This is an "at cost" operation for Mesa. The only flying in the CONUS that is not at a profit margin. So the growth there doesent mean much to the books, just trying to give delta what they want. I, personaly, am against this. It is cheap tactic to try to take flying away from ASA and Comair. Bankrupcy courts will just look at the bottom line, not quality of product. Sad.

LOL. . wow, yeah that was pretty bad, but ah well, I was in a rush, and last I remembered this isn't a grammar contest.
But let’s keep in mind; these are message boards for crying out loud, not online literary published text. If I had a nickel every time I hear someone criticize someone for the grammar on this board , I would retire at my young age.

Even though you were in a rush, it isn't that hard to write a proper sentence. My friends third grade students can write a paragraph with less errors than that in five minutes.

Have fun working at Mesa.

Hey Gelopilot79,

You are showing your inexperience in the industry. I fly and commute out of JFK every week and I don't see the problems you are talking about.
Old Johnny O just bit off more than he can handle. (although I'm sure he knew this in advance and didn't care). Mesa just runs an unreliable operation. Nuff said!

Mesa reminds me of the baseball teams that need a left handed pitcher. Some second rate lefty keeps showing up on different teams because the new team thinks, "This time with the cheap price we can get him for how can we pass him up." Then a couple months later he moves on after a sh*tty performance.

GO TIGERS!

smokin crack

The freedom operation out of JFK has started out in a bit of a slow peak cause Delta came to Mesa and told them in like a 1,2,3 deal to scrap up some Dash's which Freedom didn't have on the fleet and put it in the ops out in JFK and only gave them 4 months. many other airlines are given longer with aircraft they already have on the fleet and all they have to to is repaint them and send them over. They had to buy them, refit them with better working equip and put them on, thats why it got off to a ruggy start, but now they are pretty much on full swing with only 3 more Dash's to be put on line.

As for the compleation factor, they are not as bad as all you guys are seeing, last i check comair has more issues with on time and compleation factors then freedom does, plus, ever work out of JFK, its very difficult and its not really Freedoms fault for all the delays, many of it is because of all the international ops out there and the ground crews who barely know a word of english and keep puting bags in the wrong place and screwing up things with bag trasfers, its a multi-lingual barrier there, which makes it difficult to get many people off the big metal, smoothly have them go through customs and then push them on the connection carrier. Fly international out of JFK and you'll see how nutty the customs situation is at JFK as well. Every airline flying international can tell you of the difficulty at JFK to get things to run smoothly. How many airlins start off smoothly when they just start up anyhow? With time these things will quell over, and its been showing already with much more improvements. A friend of mine fying the Dash out there, said this last month, the improvement has been like night and day now that they are getting the ops settled out and getting i the swing of things. Delta knows this and will keep the Dash's and Freedom as long as it keeps the costs where they want it which Freedom seems to be doing for them.

Yes JFK presents a "unique" environment. But... Lets take a look at one flight from flightaware.com For example, Freedom DL6200 JFK-BWI. Take the last 30 flights. Out of those 30 flights only three have gotten in on time. Over 25 of those are over one hour late. 13 of those 20 are over 2:30-over 3 hours late. This is not a JFK issue this is a Freedom/Delta issue. On the other hand... For example Comair flt that leaves earlier at 05:45pm (flt 5017) out of 20 flights 17 have gotten to BWI within :45- 1:00 of scheduled arrival. And that’s a flight that is smack in the middle of the evening international push.

Call a spade a spade, the operation is a disorganized a cluster ^&*k. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the ride but don’t bag on Comair as Freedom isn’t even in the same league.

Last edited:
-Why does Delta schedule 35 minute turns in JFK for the freedom Dashes? I seriously doubt the Comair airplanes have an entire day planned with turns of 35 minutes at the hub and 20 at the outstation. Not much opportunity to make up time.

-It routinely takes in excess of a half hour from the time you request passengers to the time you actually see one. This is if you walk up to the gate and request them in person; if you call on the radio you're looking at an hour.

-There are only about 7 spots on the ramp that Delta will allow a Dash to park. (Less than half the total spots at Terminal 2) Perhaps if the ramp tower would refrain from parking -200's in Dash spots, the Dashes in question wouldn't half to wait hours for an available gate.

-Why does Delta schedule 35 minute turns in JFK for the freedom Dashes? I seriously doubt the Comair airplanes have an entire day planned with turns of 35 minutes at the hub and 20 at the outstation. Not much opportunity to make up time.

-It routinely takes in excess of a half hour from the time you request passengers to the time you actually see one. This is if you walk up to the gate and request them in person; if you call on the radio you're looking at an hour.

-There are only about 7 spots on the ramp that Delta will allow a Dash to park. (Less than half the total spots at Terminal 2) Perhaps if the ramp tower would refrain from parking -200's in Dash spots, the Dashes in question wouldn't half to wait hours for an available gate.

You think wrong, Comair does schedule short turns in JFK, some as short as 30 minutes. We also have to wait for parking spaces just like you do. Maybe if Dash-8's would stop breaking and sitting at the gate waiting for maintenance that would help the parking situation a little.

The new parking layout is a joke anyways. While the remote parking we had was kinda ghetto, it worked much better and had the passengers less confused.

We had a maintenance issue in MHT the other nite and we were talking to the rampies and gate agents there. The Freedom flight was already 2 hours late(inbound) because of maintenance and it still hadn't left the gate in JFK. They told us this was pretty much the standard(they had some other choice words about it also).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back