What drives 328JET problems?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vc10

People talk a lot about the 328JET's maintenance issues and it's reliability (or lack thereof).

What's the main problem with the 328JET? It's not like the whole plane can be a disaster, it must have its good and bad points.

So what are its main weaknesses?

my biggest gripe...

The computer that runs the systems/primus interfacing with the computer that runs the engines is a problem. It would be like hooking a DELL to an APPLE, they are both computers but they speak different languages.
The numerous sensors that dectect everything on the airplane (there are alot!) sometimes detect stuff that isn't really there or happening. On an older airplane with conventional instruments this would be a flicker on the gauge that if you weren't looking right at it you would never see. The 328J never 'blinks' and doesn't miss anything so you get these warnings and indications that last just long enough for you to put down the Maxum you were reading and say "WHat the F@#$ was that?" Back to the magazine....

If the airplane sits too long 'queer' electrons infiltrate the computers and give you false indications problems. Reset the whole airplane (fun with pax on board) and they disappear. Happened to me about once a week.

The PW engines are overworked and have had a hard time making it to TBO. Problems with the HP compressor/turbine section I thinks. TOGA to long perhaps???

Good quiet bird otherwise, although the autopilot is scared of getting to close to redline.

-TC

Poorly designed engines and as TC said the wrong translator talking german to French/Canadian engines:D

Jobear

How's life on the the OUTSIDE TC?

vc10 said:
People talk a lot about the 328JET's maintenance issues and it's reliability (or lack thereof).

What's the main problem with the 328JET? It's not like the whole plane can be a disaster, it must have its good and bad points.

So what are its main weaknesses?

Do a search...this issue has been discussed numerous times.

Does the prop suffer the same problems?

The prop doesn't have the engine communication problem, however we do have a lot of those stray electrons causing momentary failures.

The two biggest problems with the dork prop seem to be the nose wheel steering, and the APU generator. Dang things break all the time.

I did read a few reports on how a couple of the dork jets have lost all their Display units (not good) but I haven't seen that problem in the prop.

Skeezer

As a former DoJet Pilot I will toss in my 2 cents. 2 major problem are the "French made 1vE panal, (electrical junction box) is crap, and it is the root of the Generator problems. And the the other one, and they may be conected, is static build up. The Jet has the same number of static wicks as the prop and no spinung prop to help discharge. This is the display issues and the static in the radios, and maybe the some of the issue with the 1vE issue. This is what a Dornier tech rep told me. With that said the other issue bankruptcy stuff. Its not like the are out dropping coin to Research issues.

Latest resources

Back