Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does JO think of 50 seat RJs? Take a look at a quote....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
United cuts 50-seat Mesa CRJs
Tuesday November 10, 2009
ATW news:

United Airlines ended its agreement with Mesa Air Group for operation of 26 50-seat CRJs on its behalf, with the aircraft to be phased out by April 30.

The move follows UA's decision last week to terminate the agreement under which Mesa operates 10 Dash 8s as United Express (ATWOnline, Nov. 3). Mesa Chairman and CEO Jonathan Ornstein told ATWOnline that MAG will continue to operate 20 CRJ700s for UA, primarily out of Chicago O'Hare and Washington Dulles, and that the agreement could be extended to include an additional 10 CRJ700s.

He noted that the CRJ100/200 termination could be a sign of things to come in light of rising fuel prices. "In the current economic environment, to a large degree they [50-seat RJs] are not economically feasible," he said.

Mesa currently operates 136 aircraft with approximately 800 daily departures. In addition to United it flies for US Airways and Delta Air Lines and independently as Mesa Airlines and go! in Hawaii.

YA THINK?????????

Bye Bye---General Lee

Of course when your using the airplane in independent point to point operations, like mesa's doing in Hawaii, they not economical. Now, when your using RJs to gain market share in smaller cities and feeding in to larger airplanes in hubs it makes a lot of sense. It's about funneling the folks onto your 777s and not the other guys 777s.

Scott

Of course when your using the airplane in independent point to point operations, like mesa's doing in Hawaii, they not economical. Now, when your using RJs to gain market share in smaller cities and feeding in to larger airplanes in hubs it makes a lot of sense. It's about funneling the folks onto your 777s and not the other guys 777s.

Scott

I'm completely taken aback... an intelligent post! nice work.

that is all

Here we go again!!!

Mr. RJ hater rooting for thousands of guys to lose (loose) their jobs just to make him feel good! Have any of you ever known of someone like this who actually hopes that so many people lose their jobs, and then potentially their homes, cars, belongings, etc..It is simply the most unbelievable crap I have ever come across! It's one thing to offer up an opinion that you believe the 50 seater may/should/could go away, but then to root for it and disparage the people that earn their living from them and make insulting remarks to them to get ready to go back to the 172 or back to Mommy's basement is just so sadly sickening. I feel so sorry for this guy and yet I despise him at the same time.

Here we go again!!!

Mr. RJ hater rooting for thousands of guys to lose (loose) their jobs just to make him feel good! Have any of you ever known of someone like this who actually hopes that so many people lose their jobs, and then potentially their homes, cars, belongings, etc..It is simply the most unbelievable crap I have ever come across! It's one thing to offer up an opinion that you believe the 50 seater may/should/could go away, but then to root for it and disparage the people that earn their living from them and make insulting remarks to them to get ready to go back to the 172 or back to Mommy's basement is just so sadly sickening. I feel so sorry for this guy and yet I despise him at the same time.

I don't think anyone's hoping for anyone to lose their jobs. I believe the argument is about where the jobs will be distributed.

General must be posting again!!!

I smell vinegar!!!

He gives us all that fresh dressed feeling!!

Being such a doooshhh-baaaagggg!!!

Here we go again!!!

I never said I wanted people to lose their jobs. There will always be people flying in the back of planes, and that number is supposed to climb (if we can get out of a recession). I just want there to be MORE mainline planes, which is better for EVERYONE. These new rest rules may have a way of starting that process, since it will be more restrictive on regionals and make it more costly, which may entice Majors to start hiring more to keep it all inhouse. Some crazy numbers have been floating around the training house here in ATL, speculating on what those proposed rules could do to DL. I have heard that we could be a few hundred or more pilots SHORT. That may be pushing it, and that could change of course.

Regardless, JO actually stated in this article something that a lot of us have known, and a lot of us don't want to know, is that the 50 seater, in this economy, is not efficient. Route finding is one thing, going up against LCCs with 50 seaters is another.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General must be posting again!!!

I smell vinegar!!!

He gives us all that fresh dressed feeling!!

Being such a doooshhh-baaaagggg!!!

You should have put the second line above before the first one, it would have been funnier. Swing and a miss.......It's all about timing son, ask your Mom...

Bye Bye--General Lee

No one wants anybody to lose their jobs. But it is hard to have sympathy for a guy who has never instructed or flown 135, corporate, etc. Now, he is bitching about the industry and how he deserves a mainline job. Of course this is a generalization, but this regional/rj crap has contributed to the race to the bottom.

Listen, the economics are not there. It does not matter if it is their own route or connecting, the ink is red either way. No one wants to admit that. There is no re-distribution of jobs.

Its tough, but it always has been in this business.

No one wants anybody to lose their jobs. But it is hard to have sympathy for a guy who has never instructed or flown 135, corporate, etc. Now, he is bitching about the industry and how he deserves a mainline job. Of course this is a generalization, but this regional/rj crap has contributed to the race to the bottom.

Listen, the economics are not there. It does not matter if it is their own route or connecting, the ink is red either way. No one wants to admit that. There is no re-distribution of jobs.

Its tough, but it always has been in this business.

Then you don't read Pvt Lee's posts. They consistently are of that tone....

Maybe part of the disconnect with the "Major Gods" is just what you said. I have 1633 hours of dual given. Then flew whatever light twin I could to gain experience. Then flew corporate for 2 years in Citations. Then a turbo-prop operator for 2 years - which I moved on from due to massive downsizing and trouble with the Major partner (Bankrupcy's, etc) then ASA. The only hiring that has happened at the Majors while I have been here was before I upgraded so I did not have the PIC time to move on in that short window. Since I have been at the Regional level (2000) there have been more furloughs at the Majors than hires! So, here I am.....and there are MANY MORE like me, than the type you characterize as the typical Regional pilot. Most of the CRJ 700/900 Captains at ASA have been here 15-20 years. I assure you that when they were hired they were more experienced than the recent new-hires into the Regionals! Many of them were Military pilots, Corporate, Charter, etc... Many (most) of those hired with me in the 2000 -2002 era were furloughed pilots from Majors and/or had previous PIC time from another Regional, or came from cargo or charter operators. VERY FEW Regional pilots - at least the ones hired before 2007 - are the kind you guys constantly characterize as the "typical" Regional pilot! Maybe if you realized the kind of people that are out there taxiing past you every day you could have more respect! I realize that there is no hope for Private Lee. He is a despicable individual.

I know the tone of your post was that less Regional aircraft may mean more Mainline jobs that we could move to. While that may or may not be true - in fact, current history say that it is not true, because DCI is rapidly shedding RJ's and as you see, Delta mainline is not growing with a proportional number of new jobs......so the Regionals are all furloughing. So yes, when Mainline guys and Pvt Lee jumps up and down and hooraay, hooraays the Regional guys losing their jobs, roots for it, promotes it - it is quite offensive! Afterall, we have families too! I would like to think I can provide food and clothing and shelter for my 4 month old daughter and wife without reading how glad some self-loving "major" pilot is soooo glad to hear that my job is going away.

I never said I wanted people to lose their jobs. There will always be people flying in the back of planes, and that number is supposed to climb (if we can get out of a recession). I just want there to be MORE mainline planes, which is better for EVERYONE. These new rest rules may have a way of starting that process, since it will be more restrictive on regionals and make it more costly, which may entice Majors to start hiring more to keep it all inhouse. Some crazy numbers have been floating around the training house here in ATL, speculating on what those proposed rules could do to DL. I have heard that we could be a few hundred or more pilots SHORT. That may be pushing it, and that could change of course.

Regardless, JO actually stated in this article something that a lot of us have known, and a lot of us don't want to know, is that the 50 seater, in this economy, is not efficient. Route finding is one thing, going up against LCCs with 50 seaters is another.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Do you fly CRJs? Not for long pal. And these new rest rules will kill your side of the industry too. Have fun with that turd brain. Back to Empty Nipple and instructing in C172s for you.

Oh really! Then what am I to take from this post from above?? Yea, you are really rooting for that guy, huh? Gimme a break! Same stuff from you....When you said "not for long, pal" you really meant that he would soon have a job on a 767 soon, right? Or did you wish him "back to his empty Nipple and C172"???? I thought so.

Latest resources

Back