Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does it take to have a mx facility?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

I am a flight school owner ( a small one) and we have been getting our mx outsourced to a local mx facility. Of course 65/hr is taking a big dent out of our income and we are also thinking about getting into mx in order to diversify our income stream..

Since I am a pilot and not a mechanic I am curious what it takes to operate a small operation. One that works on Cessnas and Pipers , nothing major.
What would be the initial investment that I will have to make? What will be the must have tools, equipment, etc..

Thanks in advance..

FlyingToIST said:
I am a flight school owner ( a small one) and we have been getting our mx outsourced to a local mx facility. Of course 65/hr is taking a big dent out of our income and we are also thinking about getting into mx in order to diversify our income stream..

Since I am a pilot and not a mechanic I am curious what it takes to operate a small operation. One that works on Cessnas and Pipers , nothing major.
What would be the initial investment that I will have to make? What will be the must have tools, equipment, etc..

Thanks in advance..

You're probably looking at somewhere around $18-20K for the shop equiment to perform maintenance up to but not including major engine cylinder rework. This doesn't include product liability insurance, or spare parts, consumables and the like. This also doesn't take in a hangar, utilities, payroll, employee expenses (health insurance, vacations, matching FICA, etc) required manuals and tech data.

Equipment needed will be an air compressor, a spark plug cleaner will set you back in the area of $900, work benches, a PC (computer), ladders, stands, someplace to dump used motor oil, shelves for parts, a tug and towbar to move the planes, the various jacks and tail stands, air hoses, extension cords, a uniform service for work clothes and shop rags. I could go on ad nauseum, but you get the idea.

I haven't even delved into obtaining a qualified and motivated individual to ramrod the operation. Its very difficult for a two or three person shop to generate enough revenue to cover the expenses.

erj-145mech said:
You're probably looking at somewhere around $18-20K for the shop equiment to perform maintenance up to but not including major engine cylinder rework. This doesn't include product liability insurance, or spare parts, consumables and the like. This also doesn't take in a hangar, utilities, payroll, employee expenses (health insurance, vacations, matching FICA, etc) required manuals and tech data.

Equipment needed will be an air compressor, a spark plug cleaner will set you back in the area of $900, work benches, a PC (computer), ladders, stands, someplace to dump used motor oil, shelves for parts, a tug and towbar to move the planes, the various jacks and tail stands, air hoses, extension cords, a uniform service for work clothes and shop rags. I could go on ad nauseum, but you get the idea.

I haven't even delved into obtaining a qualified and motivated individual to ramrod the operation. Its very difficult for a two or three person shop to generate enough revenue to cover the expenses.

Thanks,
looks like the insurance will be an issue. All the things you mentioned can be obtained much cheaper on Ebay (even fuel trucks).

I know besides the shop rate , people make money on the parts they put into the aircraft. (Aviall charges 130 for a tire to me, but retail is 180 for instance)

Can anyone provide a bit more detailed list?

Also, if you are looking for work in Pacific NW , this could be an opportunity; if we go ahead with it.

Thanks....

A comprehensive list would be quite long. To do it properly you should have available capital so that you can aquire the items as required. You'll eventually get the capital back, just don't go off willy nilly buying stuff you think you're gonna need. There's a lot of stuff, you have to buy quality equipment and have a quality mechanic with good tools. Cessnas and Pipers are delicate and expensive, you'll soon realize that $65/hr shop rate sometimes barely covers you. Just having the required documents can be a big expense. You'll have to bid on jobs - sometimes you'll get bit because there are a lot of variables that are unforseen. You might end up spending half an hour getting one stinking screw out but you're not going to be very competitive if you try to charge your customer for that time. Sometimes you just gotta eat it.

But it ain't impossible, it just takes time to get established. If there are waiting lists at the other shops on the field then there definitely is going to be business because owners will normally want to have their planes serviced on field rather than fly them off to somewhere else. If you're good you will eventually garner more of the business - word will get around.

Greetings,

FlyingtoKIST, where are you located? I may have a private pilot finish-up student for your school.

As far as starting a shop, I highly recommend finding the chief mechanic first. You could spend thousands of dollars on equipment to have the wrong people destroy or steal it. The wrong person can also insufficiently supervise the other mechanics who may be the wrong people, too.

Once you have your mechanic, s/he'll advise on what equipment is needed for the shop. One of your interview questions should be, "what tools do you need in your shop?"

Will the mechanic's cost be less than $65 an hour once everything is said and done? Probably not, but it is a way to ensure your flight school airplanes have priority for the inevitable tire changes and fouled spark plugs.

Keep us informed, our school is considering the same thing.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JediNein,

we are currently located in KRNT. The place I am considering is not in the same airport but I wouldn't like to disclose it for now. Basically we want to keep and expand the operation in KRNT and keep a satellite facility in the new place.

I don't mind ferrying my own aircraft back and forth for the mx as we had some problems (mainly availability) at local places.

For your student who wants to finish up please have him/her visit acuwings.com

Thanks for the lead..

Basicly all you have to do is hire a good mechanic and tell him where to start.

He will have his own personal tools.

You as a owner will need to provide manuals, specialty tools and equipment, and a place to work.

I know one guy who operates out of the back of his truck with a tool box, a small air compressor and a laptop.

Well, all of the above is good information...but most of it is hit and miss, sorry guys.

Opening up a maintenance facility all depends on what kind of maintenance you are wanting to do and on what. I am just taking a guess here, but I think you are looking at doing maintenance on Cessna's and other small GA aircraft, correct?

Only if you have plans on being a FAR 145 Repair Facility, you do not need anything but an A&P with an IA. You are not required to have any type of facility or equipment. Just the tools and books you need to accomplish the job at hand.

If you are planning on becoming a 145, you will need a facility to work in a 'clean and controled enviroment', any and all the tooling required by the FAA (i.e. sheetmetal brake and shear, lathe, etc.) and manuals for all of the aircraft your repair station is authorized to work on.

Then, you need the mechanics. They will need to have certified maintenance training for aircraft on the cert.

....and it just keeps on going.

Before you get too crazy with opening up your own maint facility, might I suggest you have a long talk with a small FOB owner/operator and get his input.

Gatorman said:
You are not required to have any type of facility or equipment. Just the tools and books you need to accomplish the job at hand.
I'm not suggestng tooling up for a certified repair station, but as the owner, you have the same liabilities and responsibilities that a repair station does. I had a shop for nine years, and one re-occuring nightmare is that I was on the witness stand and the plaintiffs attorney says "You mean that you did not follow the manufactureres recomended repair proceedures?" A jury is going to have a field day with that one. The FAR's don't dictate proper shop proceedures any more, the courts and the insurance companies do.

You're going to have to have some sort of decent facility and equipment to get the mechanics to work there, and if you have to cancel a flight lesson because the spark plug cleaner is inop is not going to go over well with the student either. A mechanicis not willing to supply his own air hoses or extension cords, or ladder. The 14 CFR's require the mechanic to use the proper tools and equipment to perform the task. I don't know a single mechanic who owns a Janitrol combustion pressure decay tester. But somewhere down the road, a GA mech will have to have one, or access to one.

When the FAA issues an AD note, sometimes they will reference a manufacturers service document, but will not include that document with the AD note. That leaves you to get access to that document. Thats something else that comes out of your pocket.

I'm doing my best not to color the maintenance world thru rose colored glasses.

Gatorman said:
Just the tools and books you need to accomplish the job at hand.

Well that's what we've been talking about. The A&P or AI is going to have the hand tools, the engine compression tester and timing equipment, cable tensiometer, torque wrenches etc, etc but he's not going to bring his own personal air compressor, ladders, aircraft jacks, engine hoist, parts cleaner, storage shelves etc, etc, etc....

It all adds up. Just the cost of the maintenance and parts manuals alone is pretty hefty. Sometimes the owner will have manuals but most times they don't.

But that's part of the reason the shop rate is maybe $60 or $65/hr - to try and cover all of that overhead.

Latest resources

Back