Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does anybody that has flown the ATR think of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For that guys that mentioned is was a little on the under powered side I'm just wondering which model you flew? I flew the 72-212 which had the bigger engines but also had time in the 215(I think that was the model number). Anyway, both models had 2450 SHP with a RTO of 2700ish. With the power management at TO you'd hit 90ish% TQ, but once you switched to climb mode the power management would keep the TQ right at 100%.

Someone said about how you only used about 80% of the engines. I recall once in the 42 and once in the 72 having to firewall the engines due to windshear.........seeing 125% TQ and the engines just wanting to rip the wings off was somethin else!!!!! Nice to have the power when you need it. Never understood why RJ's didn't have that.

Having flown the ATR-72 212 for about six years, I can tell you it is a very honest bird. Don't let people scare you about the landings. It is not that bad. I would benefit you to go and get a few hours is a Citaboria or something similar. Learn to do wheel landings, and x-wind landings. The ATR lands the same. Good luck, I think you will like the frog.

Greatest Plane ever!!!! Ya what everyone else said already. It was blast to fly. You can load anyting in it, as long as the door shuts it will takeoff. Landings can be a bit tough to master, but the thing will stop on a dime!! Deep Reverse with those props, all 13ft in diameter can throw everyone forward. And if you can see the runway in front of you, you can make the landing. Props forward and power levers idle, she will glide as gracefully as bird poop straight down! In the 72 at cruise altitude, with the props back to 77% (or was it 72) its nice and quiet enough to go without the head sets.

Sure miss flying it! How much fun are those Bridge Visuals to RW10 in SJU!!

I just wanted to clarify what I said in my post for all of you fellow ATR pilots. I mentioned that in normal climb and normal cruise you'll get no more than 80% of the maximum rated shaft horsepower of the engine. ATR does this to increase engine life. You definitely get more on takeoff, go-around, and using MCT. I wasn't totally clear and I did not intend to imply otherwise. Allow me to explain a bit.

According to ATR, the power output of an engine as a percentage of its rated SHP is the value from the torque gauge multiplied by the Np setting. Remember that torque measures the amount of twist applied to the power turbine shaft, and unless the Np is 100%, the torque indication does not display a percentage of maximum shaft horsepower.

For example, on takeoff, with the torque set at 90% and the Np at 100%, the engine is developing 90% of its rated SHP.

Another example: in cruise, with the torque at 86.5% and the Np at 77%, the engine is producing about 67% of its maximum rated horsepower.

The highest climb torque (in the -212) is about 92.1% at an Np of 86%, which means that the engine is producing about 79.2% of max power, or 2,178 SHP.

And like mcpickle said, if you push the power levers all the way towards the radar panel (past the notch and the ramp), you will get as much power as Pratt and Whitney will give you. You'll exceed most or all of your engine limitations. On the ATR-72-212, you'll get about 125% torque; the Nh is mechanically limited to about 105%. The engines will keep running and probably won't require replacement. The propellers and the RGBs will probably have seen their last flight.

V2plus25, the smoke doors have been replaced by a lockable cockpit door. Also, you will be happy to know that ATR came out with an engineering order for those door mounts about two years ago. They are now held in the sockets with a no-s*** red pin that you actually have to pull out to remove the doors from the airplane. They don't come out unless you really want them to now. I do not know anyone who has had a door come off since. No more kicking the doors to get them back in those stupid holes!

Aerosurfer, I miss the Bridge Visual 10 into SJU as well, although it has humbled me more than once!

Last edited:
C'mon!!!!

Nobody mentioned you could bump uglies in the forward cargo!!!!

Losers!!

Greatest Plane ever!!!! Landings can be a bit tough to master, but the thing will stop on a dime!! Deep Reverse with those props, all 13ft in diameter can throw everyone forward.
As long as you know how to use those brakes.... those things suck!! And below 70kts, that reverse isn't doing much for you.... Still love the plane though....

Weigh in at anything less than 42,000lbs and she'll climb 1000-1500fpm above 10,000' (at 170 KIAS). Cockpit is huge. I can stretch out both arms (bent up) and not really touch anything. The loudest part of the airplane is the damn recirculation fans in the cockpit. Turn one off, put the props in 77% (or Auto in the -72A), and she'll be damn near jet quiet above about 4000'. Hardly ever need reverse or brakes to slow down on longer runways. Just ground idle. The ATR-72A's never slow down. You better be thinking ahead when you're doing 240 KIAS 5 miles out at 1500' AGL. She's gonna make you work to slow her down. (Secret hint: put the Power Management Selector to MCT...the props will go to 100%). I agree that she's tough to land as stated before. Land with too much power, you float. Pull out all the power and she drops like a 50,000lb brick. I see many older captains land beautifully with lot's of power until about 5' off the ground. Of course, do it wrong in the ATR and you're gonna be ricocheting pretty wildly off the runway. Brakes suck. It's like having a Freightliner's brakes on a Geo Metro. Way too overpowered but great if you need them. The ATR-72A's all fly crooked (at least all of Eagle's). Go full power, retrim the rudder. Take out 10% TQ, retrim the rudder. Add 5% TQ, retrim the rudder. You get the idea. Annoying as hell. If Eagle still flew the ATR in the States, I'd transfer up to her instead of the jet. Long live the French Tractor, Cloud Plow, ATRuck, Mini Airbus....many names apply.

Also, if it breaks, or if crew scheduling makes you mad enough... you can drive home.

Haha..that is funny. Nice one.

Do you know what the 320 mile range on the ATR's radar is?

"Tomorrow's Weather"

Latest resources

Back