• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you think will happen to ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, there will still be a need for 50-seat airplanes. Now, do I believe that the 50-seat market is dead? Yes. Old Comair birds are already being sent to the desert, and it won't be too long before ship 820 has reached its design life. Will there be a new design replacement for these airplanes? I have no idea. But I wouldn't worry about the 900 replacement issue, as Delta can only operate so many of these types of airplanes.

Let me understand your logic. 50's are going away and there are limited opportunities for larger aircraft.

The way I see it that leaves us holding a giant bag of sh!t. I stand tall knowing that, if it makes you feel better.

I'm not advocating cut and run. I am advocating the union settles this before there is nothing left.

I'll second that. And I don't advocate we cave and be like Mesa. (Notice I didn't say CHQ/REP. Look at their contract. Other than FO pay rates, it is better than what ASA currently has in most areas)

I advocate we set more realistic expectations, and give up somethings or give mgmnt something they want (negotiate) to get this done. If ALPA NAtional is driving our MEC's agenda for us, this needs to stop. Who cares how long we have waited. We need to get this done. We are losing money, and QOL every dang day we drag this out hoping for an industry leading contract that will put us on the sreets anyway.

but what can we do - our CNC just last week told us in recurrent pilots they are sure of a release - and they know sw will settle before a strike. they wont back down - not even a little. it was mentioned to the CNC that we would not get released by the nmb before the summer and they told everyone it was coming. how could anyone think that?

they are also telling the recurent classes that the alpa vote is a done-deal? where do they get thier confidence from?

i feel like the CNC is playing poker with my future?

saying the 50's can't be replaced is like saying ASA MUST fly 80% of all DCI flights out of ATL because it is the agreement. Do you think we do that much now?

If you look at the advertisement, one of the benefits that is listed is "Per Diem paid depending on crew base awarded."

Maybe this is just a slip, but many on these boards give these clowns multitudes of credit for having planned our future(ASA). So, are they just letting the cat out of the bag? Or are there future plans for a crew base?

I think there is another base in the future. CVG or MCO is what my gut is telling me, or maybe I just need to lower the fiber content of my diet. Now that I think of it, this whole place makes my gut hurt.

Dick

but what can we do - our CNC just last week told us in recurrent pilots they are sure of a release - and they know sw will settle before a strike. they wont back down - not even a little. it was mentioned to the CNC that we would not get released by the nmb before the summer and they told everyone it was coming. how could anyone think that?

they are also telling the recurent classes that the alpa vote is a done-deal? where do they get thier confidence from?

Hey Skipper,

Why dont you try making a bit of sense?

Which vote are your speaking of, Skywest Alpa?

Did you stand up and say to YOUR CNC, that they are playing poker with your future?

These guys are well aware of the end results.

Medeco

I'm no chest-pounder, and in my position it's possible I may never go to another airline. But negotiations are full of tough talk from both sides of the table. I'm not going to be intimidated by rhetoric, especially when that rhetoric goes against what would be good business sense on the part of the company. And if in fact the company would rather do the illogical and inflict pain on itself by putting us out of business and out of a job, then I'll be forced to move on. But I'm not going to be taken advantage of in either case. It's a matter of principle (which there is very little of any more), and I have enough spine to stand on my principles.

Is this the kind of good business sense that sends 30 CRJ-900's to ATL with a crew base. Not to mention the added cost of an infrastructure that is seperate than ours (maintenance, etc.). Seems to me JA is making good of his threats and promises, and that we keep trying the same blind stunts over, and over, and over, and over, again. No, it has gone much farther than rhetoric and negotiating leverage.

All of you guys talking about how the CRJ 200s will be replaced one-for-one with CRJ 900s... I have news for you. They can't.

There is a scope limit of the amount of 76-seat airplanes. I'm sure a Delta pilot can correct me, but it was 30 airplanes initially, with a 3-to-1 ratio for every additional mainline airplane on property. Delta has pretty much awarded every 900 that they have the ability to, as they only have a handful of mainline deliveries scheduled.

I also believe that there is a 200 aircraft limit of the combined total of 70- and 76-seat class airplanes. There are more than 200 50-seat airplanes flying around. So, there will still be a need for 50-seat airplanes. Now, do I believe that the 50-seat market is dead? Yes. Old Comair birds are already being sent to the desert, and it won't be too long before ship 820 has reached its design life. Will there be a new design replacement for these airplanes? I have no idea. But I wouldn't worry about the 900 replacement issue, as Delta can only operate so many of these types of airplanes.

This sounds like the same inductive reasoning that bit us in the @$$ a few months ago with the CRJ900 issues. We were convinced that those were coming here to ASA, weren't we? So far, the assumptions of our MEC/LEC are biting us in the butt and seem to be falling WAY off point. Perhaps it's time they come clean and paint another picture of just what we are asking for will get us. Watch the uproar of the pilot group if ALPA were to admitt that our desires (scope, retirement, industry LEADING pay, COLA, and RETRO) would put ASA in a place for replacement.

Everytime this is brought up, the reference is always given to becoming average once that other carriers have negotiated their contracts. What if we don't get a labor friendly administration in 08 and it takes them, like us, 6-7 years for a new contract?

ALPA national is running the whole show

This is going to be an interesting showdown. ALPA has put itself in a tough position. It has promised to represent the best interests of the ASA pilot's, They are also trying to grow their business (2% from each and every SkyWest pilot). There is a conflict there for sure, but many refuse to see it or they refuse to admit it. ALPA has to tow a hard line, because if ASA settles for SkyWest plus 1%, then SkyWest pilots will look at ALPA as money wasted. IE pay 2% to make an extra 1%.

It has been said on these boards (and you know that if it is on flight info it must be true), that if INC's offer was put out to the pilot group that it would be accepted. Let me start off by saying that I am not advicating that it should be accepted, but if this is true ALPA has taken the position that the rank and file don't know what is best for them. Is this because the rank and file truely do not know what is best for them, or is it that ALPA cannot settle for the small increase over SkyWest rates because they will lose SkyWest's money?

The only middle ground I can see is getting a deal that guarantees ASA a % of any new growth and fight for an additional code share. We all know that MESA is on the way out on the United contract. If ALPA could get a deal with a guaranteed % of new growth, that would be the only motivation for SkyWest pilots to go ALPA. Once this occurs then there would be leverage for a single carrier potition.

Here are some quotes from the recent Pilot2Pilot conference call:

"We are comfortable with our position with the board (NMB)"

"The only logical outcome is a release"

We are:
"quite far apart on rates"
"very far on retro"
"very far on scope"

JR, the CNC Chairman said:

"We are trying to get a better contract to show Skywest - We want to look good to Skywest so they will see value in ALPA"

A question was asked about how Mesa, CHQ, and EGL achieved single lists. JR said "I don't know, you will have to ask Danny or Nick". Is everyone comfortable with the fact that the Chairman of the CNC didn't know how other carriers achieved a single list?

Latest resources

Back