• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you tell your children?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you should block out a Saturday and spend the day doing the the following:

First make sure he has a working definition of union, MEC, scope clause, "the race to the bottom," strike pay, ALPA, teamsters, pay rate, "lowering the bar", quality of life, junior manning, short reserve, long reserve, "block or better," bidding, mainline, regional, wide body, narrow body, RJ, undercut, whipsaw, stock options, undeserved bonuses, contract negotiations, shiny jet syndrome, quality of life, commute, jumpseat, CASS and flamebait.

After you're sure he understands that then tell him that you won't be able to afford to buy his way into the right seat of that shiny new jet, so he is going to have to do it the hard way and pay his dues by flying cargo/flight instructing to build his time.

When he does get ready to start at an airline make sure he knows which ones are ok to go to and which ones aren't. Explain that some airlines are lowing the bar and they he doesn't want to be a part of that. Those airlines are allowing the management of other airlines to whipsaw their pilot groups. Working for an undercutting airline like that will mean that he will be despised by the rest of the airline pilot community and may not be able to jumpseat when he wants to go commute to work.

Finally explain that he and the rest of his class at school should write a letter to their congressmen telling them to oppose changing the age 60 rule.

You may want to block out some more time over the next few weeks to review these items and expand on some of them. That would be up to you.

OR

You could take him to the airport once in awhile and watch airplanes with him. You could take him on and airplane ride, or on one of your trips when he is old enough and if it's allowed. You could get him some cool airplane posters for his room. You could go to his class on career day and let the rest of his class admire you while he can sit back and be proud of his dad. You could tell him that if he wants to be a pilot he needs to keep working hard in school and the you will help him as much as you can. You could also tell him that if he decides being an airline pilot is what he wants you would be very proud of him.

Last edited:
No offense man. But I wouldn't be for parental advice from flightinfo.com. You know as well as I do these guys have sick and twisted sense of humor.

OPECJet said:
I'd ground my kid for using that kind of language.

ROFLMAO

Green said:
I say tell him to go for it. As bad as things are there is still a decent living to be made flying airplanes. Would you rather he get rich screwing you or someone else out of your retirment as a lawyer/manager? Atleast we can sleep well at night knowing we earn an honest living providing a service that is of benefit to others.

I agree 100% with this. Whether you think you are underpaid or not, pilot salaries are equal to, and at the major level more than the majority of all careers the typical average American goes into. Average American salary out of college - $35,000. Average American salary, overall - $39,000.

Pilots need not kid themselves into thinking the problems they are having right now, they are experiencing alone. I touched on this in another thread, but industries across the board are having problems, cutting pension, benefits, pay, having lay offs, etc. Recently I read an article that says 80% of all American workers think they are underpaid and under valued.

I think it is a parents job and responsibility to help their children make the best decisions for their life. It is ultimately, however, up to the child. Eventually they will come of an age where it is their decision, and nobody else's. I knew I wanted to be a pilot when I was about your sons age, and never did that desire leave. I say if it is something he truly wants to do, encourage it. Who knows where the airlines will be by the time your son is at the point to look for a job. They could be flourishing. Also, corporate is not a bad way to go, and salaries at that level are/can be great as well. I would certainly not discourage him from becoming a professional pilot on some level, even the military.

If he's serious, send him over to Mesa. He probably meets their requirements and pay would be competative with his current allowance.

PilotOnTheRise said:
I agree 100% with this. Whether you think you are underpaid or not, pilot salaries are equal to, and at the major level more than the majority of all careers the typical average American goes into. Average American salary out of college - $35,000. Average American salary, overall - $39,000.

Pilots need not kid themselves into thinking the problems they are having right now, they are experiencing alone. I touched on this in another thread, but industries across the board are having problems, cutting pension, benefits, pay, having lay offs, etc. Recently I read an article that says 80% of all American workers think they are underpaid and under valued.

I think it is a parents job and responsibility to help their children make the best decisions for their life. It is ultimately, however, up to the child. Eventually they will come of an age where it is their decision, and nobody else's. I knew I wanted to be a pilot when I was about your sons age, and never did that desire leave. I say if it is something he truly wants to do, encourage it. Who knows where the airlines will be by the time your son is at the point to look for a job. They could be flourishing. Also, corporate is not a bad way to go, and salaries at that level are/can be great as well. I would certainly not discourage him from becoming a professional pilot on some level, even the military.

what a load of garbage.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/mba/compensation.asp

there's your average MBA grad salary (year one)

Is it any harder to hit six years of college than it is to do 4+ and get pilot ratings and experience?

across the board industries are not hurting. Many are posting record profits, record bonuses, etc..outside of automotive (well, 2 of them) and airlines - what industries are hurting?...energy, finance, tech...they all seem to be doing pretty well.

lose the "average joe makes" mentality, unless thats what it takes to justify a terrible job...

Last edited:
BizPilot said:
I have a son who just turned 7 years old. The other day was the first time he said to me, "Dad, I think I want to be an Airline Pilot."
Take him to the local fire station, seriously. My oldest used to love airplanes, then I took him to the Airport Fire Rescue. They were great, showed him all the trucks and equipment, then we got to drive around the airport, and shoot the water cannon in their "practice area." Ever since then I haven't heard a thing about airplanes, it's just firemen, and firetrucks:D .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back