• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you tell your children?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Though I am nor a airline pilot (yet...) or a parent...(hopefuly will not be until the first part...) I still think you should let a 7 year old dream ;)

WIPilot said:
Though I am nor a airline pilot (yet...) or a parent...(hopefuly will not be until the first part...) I still think you should let a 7 year old dream ;)

Agreed. There's nothing worse than having your parents tell you that your dreams are stupid. (Especially at age 7)

I say tell him to go for it. As bad as things are there is still a decent living to be made flying airplanes. Would you rather he get rich screwing you or someone else out of your retirment as a lawyer/manager? Atleast we can sleep well at night knowing we earn an honest living providing a service that is of benefit to others.

If my daughter said this to me (she is 2 though), I would tell her that that is great but that she has to go to college first and a degree (in something other than aviation, of course).

I would enjoy the fact that your kid admires you and loves flying and try to enjoy the common bond while it lasts. Your kid may very well have the same aspirations when the time comes, but it is just as likely that he won't.

Besides, airline flying doesn't suck to everyone. It is purley case dependent. And, as you know, there are so many roads to take in aviation that he may well end up with some sort of a great career.

Take yer boy flying!

Just a little humor...

I remember hearing this story one time...

A teacher at an elementary school decides to have her students tell the rest of the class what each of their parents does for a living.

Susie is first up. "My daddy is fireman. He goes into burning buildings and saves people from fires."

Mikey is next. "My dad is policeman. He arrests bad people and makes all of us safer."

Bobby is next. With an uncomfortable look, he says, "My daddy is a gay nude dancer. He dances in front of other men. Sometimes, my daddy has to go into a back room with some of the men and do bad things."

Stunned, the teacher doesn't know exactly what to do, so she tells the class to go out for recess, except for Bobby.

The teacher asks Bobby if what he said was true. Bobby says that no, it isn't true. So the teacher asks Bobby why he lied.

Bobby replies, "My dad is actually an airline pilot, but I'm too embarassed to admit it so I tell everyone he's a gay nude dancer instead."

Our six-and-a-half-year-old daughter wants to be a ballerina. We haven't told her that a life of anorexia and chain-smoking are waiting for her. She'll figure it out.

This is the same kid who wanted to know what fractionals are. We told her. She said that she didn't think it was a good idea to fly a quarter of an airplane.

Guitar Guy said:
I remember hearing this story one time...

A teacher at an elementary school decides to have her students tell the rest of the class what each of their parents does for a living.

Susie is first up. "My daddy is fireman. He goes into burning buildings and saves people from fires."

Mikey is next. "My dad is policeman. He arrests bad people and makes all of us safer."

Bobby is next. With an uncomfortable look, he says, "My daddy is a gay nude dancer. He dances in front of other men. Sometimes, my daddy has to go into a back room with some of the men and do bad things."

Stunned, the teacher doesn't know exactly what to do, so she tells the class to go out for recess, except for Bobby.

The teacher asks Bobby if what he said was true. Bobby says that no, it isn't true. So the teacher asks Bobby why he lied.

Bobby replies, "My dad is actually an airline pilot, but I'm too embarassed to admit it so I tell everyone he's a gay nude dancer instead."

Sorry, Dumb.

Just a thought

At 7 I don't think you have much to worry about, I agree that it's probably just wanting to be like daddy. If the airlines continue to be much as they are now, I would find it hard to encourage him to pursue a career in this field as he gets older. I disagree on many levels with those who say that there is still a good income to be earned in this field. You can earn aliving, yes. If you are at FedEx, UPS or SWA, you can even make a very good income....and live the pilot lifestyle...for better or worse. That aside, pilots are a horribly underpaid and underappreciated group. Think about all you give up and how little you get in return. I can't think of any field where you pay as much to be a part of it to make so little in return. No, don't encourage it as they get older. Just my take on it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back