What do you tell your children?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BizPilot

I have a son who just turned 7 years old. The other day was the first time he said to me, "Dad, I think I want to be an Airline Pilot."

He caught me off guard, and I really didn't have an answer for him. So I just laughed it off.

What are you guys with children telling your kids? Are you encouraging, or discouraging an airline career?

Just want to get everyone's thoughts on this subject that I can't seem to grasp myself.

(I fly corporate, not for an airline)

It all depends, really the future of any career right now is uncertain. The airlines might be the place to be in the future, nobody knows. You should know where things are going by the time he gets old enough to start choosing a career path.

At 7, I'm not even sure I knew that there were any other kind of pilots, other than airline pilots and military pilots. As we all know, those are two huge catagories, but they are not the all to end all. Encouraging him to be a pilot isn't a bad thing. I would say encourage, but help provide guidance. Heck, sign the little guy up for flightinfo :)

I'd ground my kid for using that kind of language.

Tell him to get a different job and fly for fun. That way nobody can ever take away his joy of flying.

Of course, you know that if he's thinking about it and speaking of it this early... Sorry and Congrats, I guess.

At least he doesn't want to be a lawyer or politician. Also, this is something that the two of you will be able to share forever and it may help you get him through the many pitfalls of teenage years.

Become independantly wealthy first. Then you can afford to strike before taking consessions and starting a race to the bottom.

Long time ago a Captain I respected said this:

"Get your son a subscription to Flying Magazine, every month when it arrives, take him out back and flip thru the pages; at every picture of an airplane, SLAP HIM HARD! If you catch him early enough, you might just condition it out of him."

Grog tell funny story. :]

BizPilot, why disillusion your kid? He's only 7. Wait till he's older, and then tell him he'd better have a Plan B. And C.

And he should start himself an IRA right now.

BizPilot said:
I have a son who just turned 7 years old. The other day was the first time he said to me, "Dad, I think I want to be an Airline Pilot."

He caught me off guard, and I really didn't have an answer for him. So I just laughed it off.

What are you guys with children telling your kids? Are you encouraging, or discouraging an airline career?

Just want to get everyone's thoughts on this subject that I can't seem to grasp myself.

He obviously admires you and wants to be just like you. (Pretty typical of a seven year old looking at his dad) Why would you want to give him any negative feedback at that age? Let him continue thinking you're Super Dad and as he gets older, if it's still with him, give him the facts and let him make his own decision.

BizPilot said:

Ah geez , this is like the Marine whose kid wants to join the navy!

Latest resources

Back