Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
needle and spoon.

Mostly what this guy said......

I picked up a trick from a friend, to roll up socks and underwear in an undershirt. One tidy bundle to grab out of the bag each morning while staggering to the shower at 04:15. An eagle creek shirt folder bag helps keep things organized.

I use one of their "cube" products. I can easily get 4 rolls in it, 6 if I need to. And at MOST it maybe takes up 1/6 of the bags interior space.

Running shoes and shorts are a must; often I just use the previous day's uniform undershirt for my run. I mean, I'm gonna smell pretty bad anyhow, no sense dorking up an extra shirt for each workout. I'll carry a brightly-colored race shirt in the winter months so I don't get run over if it's after dark before I get out to run.

A standard running shoe can be a bit of a pain. They're a little bulky/cumbersome to pack. A good tip is to roll/stuff things into the shoes like workout clothes, etc. I use the Nike "free" style shoe although just about everybody makes a similar product. They're very light and the uppers are compressible to fit in the bag more easy.

As far as workout clothes go, as mentioned, any of the quick dry/moisture wicking types seem to be best. Easily cleaned for multiple uses while on a trip.

I dumped the laptop for the summer, started carrying an ipad. Much easier not having to open up a bag to go through security.

That's almost a complete quality of life enhancement for the times we have to go through security, isn't it?

A lot of netbooks/ultrabooks and the MacBook Air 11" model don't have to come out at security either, which is nice if one needs more computing power on a trip than what a standard tablet can do.

In the summers I'm carrying a set of shorts, a t-shirt, as well a collared short sleeve for DH's/commutes.

In the winter, a pair of jeans and a long sleeve collared shirt. A Northface Bionic Apex windstopper jacket as well as a fleece for a liner. A beanie hat, set of gloves, and a scarf. In the winter, all that can make for a full/heavy bag, but it's still just ONE bag I have to drag/roll/carry around.

The windstopper jacket combined with the fleece liner is actually pretty warm, even in places like YYZ or YHZ. If it's too cold for those to keep me warm, usually the the ONLY time I'm leaving the hotel is if the "Low Alcohol Master Warning" is going off and can't be silenced.

If one has the PNS/LW type bag, a space saving method is to fold up the shorts/jeans/tshirts so that they fit between the handle rails in the bottom of the bag. If you do it right it makes for a smooth surface and takes up some the dead space.

The pocket that's in the flap you can fold up the extra uniform shirt/pants so that they fit nicely.

Condoms. Smokes. Libation....more condoms if there's extra room.

Just have your Mom pack your stuff and you'll be fine.....

Latest resources

Back