• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Do You Look For?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do it, you won't regret it. Check out the ANG 110th Fighter Wing at Battle Creek. They might be able to help you with college and even get a flying spot. Enlistment there would help you get a recommendation to UPT also.

I don't recommend enlistment. As a military brat and someone who had an ANG C-5 UPT slot, then lost it on a medical issue, go in as an officer or don't go at all. You'll find each squadron is different, and while some do hire only from within, there are still plenty that hire off the street.

The problem with going in enlisted is its like dangling a carrot in front of the horse. You see this wonderful goal, but you never know when or even if you'll get it. Meanwhile you're helping them meet recruiting goals while doing some job. Not to mention its harder to get your degree to become an officer while enlisted. Get in touch with each unit you're interested in and talking to the specific recruiter that handles pilots will get you what you need to know. GOANG.COM is a good place to look to see what units are currently hiring, though many you have to contact directly about UPT hiring. Baseops also has a good forum and lots of information.

As for your current CFI situation, its all been covered. I've had the ex B52 pilot and mid 20 y/o instructors. Some frustrating things you'll look back on later, understand, and maybe even agree with what they did.

FWIW, I solo'd at 20 hours, and that was with my 4th instructor, 4 years after I had my first training flight. I never had flight training offered to me when I was a CAP cadet, sounds like a steal!

Latest resources

Back