What do you eat on the road?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever all that code means...
I'm using nutrisystem at Flight saftey this time around for the 17 day class. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sick of the restaurant weight gain and wallet drain.

Whatever all that code means...
I'm using nutrisystem at Flight saftey this time around for the 17 day class. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sick of the restaurant weight gain and wallet drain.

How are going to pack all that food? You have to keep it cold don't you? I was thinking about the same thing.

I have been thinking about doing that myself but no way to keep it cold on a four day or no way to warm it up. No mirowave on the RJ. I too am getting sick of restraunt food and an expanding waistline.

Back in my regional hub and spoke days I used to carry almost a trip's worth of home-cooked food in a cooler, pre-cooked and pre-frozen, and store it in crew room freezers and fridges, heating them during the turns at base. With some cooler packs I could carry enough in a smaller cooler for the occasional overnight. Nowadays I live fairly high on the hog with NJA crew meals (not perfect ... I just mix and match what I want and give away or trash the stuff I don't. Room for improvement, but it's day to night vs airline "food court" life.

I usually go through a 7 day tour without having to buy a single meal. Between the free hotel breakfasts and/or the 3 meals we are catered as we work our 12-14 hours days on the XL at netjets, almost none of my per diem goes towards food. The codes in the first response refers to the 7 options you have at each meal at netjets, some of which have options like the type of bread on your sandwich or type of dressing on your cobb salad (hence the a,b, or c). I don't know anyone that likes all 21 options, but you have a pretty wide variety and can generally eat pretty healthy if that's what you want to do.

WrknStff said:
Between the free hotel breakfasts and/or the 3 meals we are catered as we work our 12-14 hours days on the XL at netjets

Oh boo-hoo-hoo!

I do 14 hours on 1 leg, and still have 45 minutes to go until we land.

Day one is sandwiches, fresh cut vegetables, fresh fruit. The rest of a trip will be Cliff Bars for breakfast (if no hotel freebie), tuna or chicken (no drain packs), tortillas, crackers, canned fruit, then usually the evening meal somewhere other than the airport (except Subway). Low sugar, low sodium, moderate carbs, high protien.
Five or six small meals a day works best for me and i've gained zero pounds in 2 1/2 of airline flying.

Latest resources

Back