• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do you call Airtran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Passengers seem to struggle with the name, as well. . . . Air Tranz, Trans Air, ATA. It's amazing how many people have flown on us to Hawaii. Just ask 'em, they're sure about it . . .;):laugh::laugh:

Passengers seem to struggle with the name, as well. . . . Air Tranz, Trans Air, ATA. It's amazing how many people have flown on us to Hawaii. Just ask 'em, they're sure about it . . .;):laugh::laugh:

I was in the elevator in LAX Hilton, full uniform. Lady asks, "Who do you fly for?"

I said, "ATA."

She said, "Oh yeah, I flew you to Atlanta."

It was probably like going to Paris. Starting the intial hello and conversation in English is not a good idea. Saying hello in french first is better. Also asking him how things are going is like asking a frenchmen after World War II.

Probably just bad timing Gup. Negotiations have broken down recently. We are up to the last sections of negotiations [money], and looking at a cooling off period in the next month.

I am sure that pilot regrets his actions today. I am not sure how negotiations will go with the current announcements.

In fact I am more worried because we r ALPA. Worried about ALPA National's motivations considering they may lose 1600 dues paying pilots. I think ALPA has to proceed like there is no merger, and I hope now management from both sides would rather spend their time on the merger instead of what to pay us the next 2 years. It would be stupid for them to push us to strike now and blow a deal when we are looking at a big raise anyway. I think both management teams would make Cramer's sh!t list.

Based on the negotiating timelines here at "da Tranny" I would say the pilot issues are on a tight schedule and need priority during the next 2 years of merger talks.

Last edited:
Trust me. You guys aint striking now! Ole Bob will make sure of that. But he did just gain leverage as well because you guys have our contract to look forward to...... might make the majority of you guys willing to wait - or not.

BTW..... I look forward to flying with that guy now! LOL!

Gup

" Tranny" "Little a" what ever. All funny. You just gone the one 52 number that thinks he god's gift to aviation. "TranLand" was on the rode to self destruct. Picketing Thursday in ALT. I am sure it will be called off maybe, only if there is a contract TA to fill the gap until SW takes over in 12-24 months. I guess Big B can afford to change it to a uppercase "A" now.

Eagerly awaiting to paying SWAPA dues. ONLY reason ALPA is on premises is that the NPA was totally inept/corrupt throughout their history. Lesser of three evils......ALPA won....
This pilot group has been operating in a void of leadership (company and union).
This pilot group has performed admirably and professionally. Current administration is valiantly working to achieve gains but I believe they are overmatched when it comes time to sit at the negotiating table.

I can count on one hand (and have fingers left over) the number of pilots that I have had concerns about. Yes there are some eccentric folks and some cranky old men but it is part of the fabric that makes this place unique. There is a great variety of extremely well trained and well qualified professionals that will become an integral part to the Southwest success story. I know many of the same caliber Southwest pilots and when all of the paper work is complete I look forward to sharing experiences in the crew room or on an overnight.
May cooler heads prevail throughout the integration process. Cautiously optimistic for now and praying for the best for BOTH groups.

The problem is that world events may change things. I am not scared of the change. I look forward to it.

If the merger doesn't happen (and i think there is a 99.99% chance it will) that means another 3 years without a pay raise at 30% below the average wages of our piers (at Alaska and Blue). No one here will wait 2 years in hope of a raise. A strike could happen, and it may still be in our groups best interest. We have been waiting way to long to put it off for a carrot at the end. And a nice carrot it is.

Way i see it what we are asking for is still 20%-30% below SWAs contract, so why can't we get a deal soon??????????

We need, really need something to hold us over or we're shutting the place down for a few.

Last edited:
Should I refrain from da Tranny next time?

Hmmm....I'd guess that'd be a good start!

Maybe butter him up a bit with a solid Air Tran then drop a "tranny" joke when the mood is right. It's all in the approach Gup!

I have never heard "Da Tranny" among my own colleagues in seven years of service... It is one of those online names but not "on the line" with the pilot group. If anything I do think that it is a little rude coming from an OA pilot you've never seen. Maybe if it came from a friend I would smile... I know you didn't mean it, but it's like saying : "Waddup B....tch" to someone you don't know on the street.

I was asked once, during a hotel ride, what it was like to work for Valuejet by a Continental pilot. I thought that was pretty rude. It just doesn't feel OK when someone tries to insult your place of employment... (In this case I know by his demeanor that he was indeed trying to insult my airline.)

Just my 2cts

Latest resources

Back