Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Commercial Aircraft could fly into Aspen besides the BAe 146/Dash 8/B1900?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dojetdriver said:
I'm sure an AWAC would be the one to ask here, but.

I believe the problem isn't so much "can it get out" of ASE as much as an approach climb limit problem. In other words, I don't think too many other aircraft operating under part 121 can meet any kind of required climb gradient during a balked landing/missed approach scenario with an engine out, except the 146 and maybe the dash 8.

Also, a consideration is the circle to land limitation. The 146 can get really slow to do it. Most others can't under 121.

MauleSkinner said:
The "approach climb" problem isn't a problem...the required gradient from the MAP is the same as most all other airports in the country for the missed approach.

"Landing climb", on the other hand, can be an issue...a balked landing would require a very steep climb, and/or short-radius turns if it is initiated much below MDA. That, however, is an "all-engine" operation for certification, rather than the "engine out" certification requirement for the approach climb.

I'm going to modify my answer...the "normal" approach climb gradient is based on the public approach to ASE...I understand that the airlines have a private approach to ASE with lower minimums and possibly a steeper missed approach gradient requirement. My ASE experience is all Part 91/135 with the public approach, and no alternate procedures for departure that relieve the climb gradient requirement of the Lindz departure in the event of an engine-out.

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
I'm going to modify my answer...the "normal" approach climb gradient is based on the public approach to ASE...I understand that the airlines have a private approach to ASE with lower minimums and possibly a steeper missed approach gradient requirement. My ASE experience is all Part 91/135 with the public approach, and no alternate procedures for departure that relieve the climb gradient requirement of the Lindz departure in the event of an engine-out.

Fly safe!

David

Thats what's I was referring to.

DiverDriver said:
Also, a consideration is the circle to land limitation. The 146 can get really slow to do it. Most others can't under 121.

The best i remember is the 146 was weight limited for ASE ops. I believe they could only carry about 50 pax and I don't think the 146 could do the circle either. Three airlines that were able to do the cirlcle was Mountain Air Express, Lone-Star/Aspen Mtn Air & Air Wille and they were all in the DO-328.

The Dude; The 146 was not often weight limited out of ASE. Unless the temp got above 72F. It was able to carry 88-100 pax most of the ski season both in and out, providing the DEN Wx was not alternate reqd. Although it looks like we did a lot of circling, the feds called it a "contact maneuver" which was pretty much used only as a last resort to get in. The maneuver usually showed up on a PC. Matter of fact, we went ASE - LAX in winter and usually were able to carry a full load, again, without an alternate for LAX. Had lots of fun going in and out of ASE with the airplane. Great tool.

Doug Parker said:
I thought SkyKing died in a Mits Accident ????????

He did. SkyKing's father took over his screenname.

Latest resources

Back