Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Commercial Aircraft could fly into Aspen besides the BAe 146/Dash 8/B1900?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DenverDude2002

Ramp Rat
Just outta curiosity, with Air Wisconsins contract with United getting terminated, what other commercial aircraft can get into/out of Aspen with the kind of seat capacity that the BAe 146 has, besides the turbo props?

Just read a story in Flying Magazine that one of the columnists flew his B-757 in and out. That's only a little bigger than an Avro :)

DenverDude2002 said:
If thats the article Im thinking of, that was Eagle/EGE, not Aspen, they get 757s all the time there

You're correct. That was Eagle not ASE.

I keep hearing rumors that this company or that company is working on "the numbers" to do ASE with their aircraft. To date I haven't heard anyone announce that they could do it.

General folklore tells of a CRJ 700 going up to ASE and THEN they realised that they couldn't get out unless they took all the seats out for weight. Kind of hard to believe that they wouldn't have thought of the exit before actually going up to ASE. But it makes for great crew room "did you hear" banter.

I'm sure an AWAC would be the one to ask here, but.

I believe the problem isn't so much "can it get out" of ASE as much as an approach climb limit problem. In other words, I don't think too many other aircraft operating under part 121 can meet any kind of required climb gradient during a balked landing/missed approach scenario with an engine out, except the 146 and maybe the dash 8.

Just out of for the heck of it I ran some B757 numbers on the Boeing Lap Top Tool for lift out of Aspen. No wind, 29.92, 32F Rwy 33. TOGW 182,000 pounds which would get you about 120 Pax, and 20,000# fuel. Plenty for Denver. Not sure about the PCN issue so it might all be moot. Fun excerise anyway.

The Dornier 328 was built for that kind of flying and use to do it regularly. Taking a turboprop into there is proabably a little more advantagous because you can actually circle to land on the other runway, vfr of course.

Spooky 1 said:
Just out of for the heck of it I ran some B757 numbers on the Boeing Lap Top Tool for lift out of Aspen. No wind, 29.92, 32F Rwy 33. TOGW 182,000 pounds which would get you about 120 Pax, and 20,000# fuel. Plenty for Denver. Not sure about the PCN issue so it might all be moot. Fun excerise anyway.

wet/ dry? summer 90+ day or winter?

dojetdriver said:
I believe the problem isn't so much "can it get out" of ASE as much as an approach climb limit problem. In other words, I don't think too many other aircraft operating under part 121 can meet any kind of required climb gradient during a balked landing/missed approach scenario with an engine out, except the 146 and maybe the dash 8.

The "approach climb" problem isn't a problem...the required gradient from the MAP is the same as most all other airports in the country for the missed approach.

"Landing climb", on the other hand, can be an issue...a balked landing would require a very steep climb, and/or short-radius turns if it is initiated much below MDA. That, however, is an "all-engine" operation for certification, rather than the "engine out" certification requirement for the approach climb.

Fly safe!

David

It is not so much the operational aspects of operating large aircraft, such as 737-800s, Airbus 320s and similar types of aircraft, rather what to do with them after they land. Parking is very limited during certain times of the year.

I have seen a 727-200 in Aspen, it quite a few years ago and it had received special permission for a one time flight. Aspen is currently undergoing changes moving the taxiway farther from the runway to allow B-737 size aircraft operations. The ramp area for parking is also under going massive changes to allow larger aircraft operations. There are plans to lengthen the runway to the south about one more thousand feet.

The current limit is by wingspan not weight, the wingspan limit is for the BBJ, a non-winglet B-737 can operate in Aspen, I have seen at least three different Corporate B-737s, not BBJs in Aspen.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back