Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What can First year first officer skywest pilots make?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't base your decision on first year pay alone. Take a look at second year rates, upgrade, work rules, etc. Compensation at SkyWest is much more than hourly rate X 75 hrs guarantee. There's a lot of 'soft money' in play with stock options, 401k, and in general our work rules.

I'm not even close to being done with my dues-paying.

I hear this all the time on these boards. Who, exactly, do you owe these "dues" to?

Not bashing, but every time I hear this, I'm reminded of a friend a few years ago, who was in the right place at the right time and was offered a right-seat Lear 35 for $60K, with good benefits. He was all concerned that at a little over 1000 hours, he had not paid his dues. WTF is that about?

oooh! Chief Flight instructor....

You know you complain that people go from zero to airline in 250hrs and when someone actually works hard and gets a respectable position you have to knock them too.
What is your acceptable route to an airline?

I hear this all the time on these boards. Who, exactly, do you owe these "dues" to?

Well, the aviation gods, I guess... More like the insurance companies and/or the seniority list. My next job isn't going to be on a Citation X or a 757, so clearly, I still have some dues to pay.

Although if I were offered $60k to be a Lear FO, I would consider that additional dues paying, not having "arrived."

-Goose

I'm on track to gross $28,000 and I'm doing as much as I can to work as little as possible, they just won't let me.

I'm on the jet out of slc

im going to time out this year at skyw, over 100hrs allot of months. I make average of 1k-1.3k every 2 weeks. I have no wife, no mortgage, no dog, multiple girlfriends (I dont buy drinks or dinner for any of them!), and I barely get by with rent/school loans/car payment/credit cards. So if you have a fam/kid, and the old lady is not pulling $$, be ready for hell. Otherwise nut up, second year pay is good and upgrade is -1 year.

I think upgrade times will be inching their way back up again. Last award was right at 2 years...which still is pretty quick. Alot of guys are coming off their seatlocks. Its still a decent place to work (as far as regionals are concerned), regardless of upgrade time.

If money is your biggest concern, hope (or ask) for the Brasilia. You'll hold a line much quicker and fly under 135 flight time limits. 34 hours a week vs. 30, etc. It'll be easier to get the credit up higher this way. Additinally, if you happen to upgrade in the EMB it'll be nice to have some time in it. The first year will go fast and you can transition to the jet after that.

Latest resources

Back