• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What biz jet type would you recommend?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just remember, in corporate: The bigger the airplane, the bigger the suitcase.

I agree with the poster who said LRJET type. It covers the 20s, the 30s, and I believe the 55 (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that).

Good luck!

and usually bigger the paycheck...:laugh:

Id venture further and get rated in a GIV. Many of them are now down in the charter arena and can also lead to MUCH better full-time career jobs. As far as a big suitcase - Frac guys in Citations pack a 7 day bag 2X a month -I dont even know many Gulfstream guys who do that! Just shop the gig carefully.

Good Lear 20,30, 55 jobs MAY be hard to find. Air ambulance and on-demand Lear flying is not enjoyable for the most part (IMO)

If it wont pay for a G rating, Id look into a Hawker rating....

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Keep in mind the Citation and Lear types are a dime a dozen. Yes there are tons of those a/c out there, but there are also tons of typed pilots. If you have a family and mortgage, the pay on those aircraft may be hard to get by on. Best of luck to ya.

Why are you asking an internet board what to do? Nobody knows you or what the marketplace around you has to offer. How many of what type aircraft are nearby? In other words, do your homework. Act like a businessman and you will succeed, act like a pilot and you will fail. Find out who the potential customers are in your service area. Marketing and sales, does that term mean anything?? This is a prime example of why most people who try the contract life fail. Would you open a shop(business) without knowing anything?? Good luck.

Why are you asking an internet board what to do? Nobody knows you or what the marketplace around you has to offer. How many of what type aircraft are nearby? In other words, do your homework. Act like a businessman and you will succeed, act like a pilot and you will fail. Find out who the potential customers are in your service area. Marketing and sales, does that term mean anything?? This is a prime example of why most people who try the contract life fail. Would you open a shop(business) without knowing anything?? Good luck.

I thought getting opinions from people who have corp. experience (since I have none) is part of doing my homework. If I was opening a business, I would ask people involved in that field for opinions and advice. I will make my own decision, but I see nothing wrong with asking questions from those who have experience I don't. How do you know I am not planning to check out the operations in my area, maybe I would move or commute for the right job. If I'm going to get furloughed for the second time in 10 months, I would like something positive to come out of it. I've flown night freight, day pax, on demand charter, scheduled, domestic, and international so contract life will be no big surprise.

Everyone else, keep em coming!
Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, I guess you are partially right. You are getting some ideas. I was a contract pilot for eight years. What I saw was furloughed pilots getting free types from the state and then lowballing their daily rates to get the work and then not being able to pay for the next years training. The market for you will be completely different than your next door neighbor if they had the same work and flight experience. I saw a bunch of guys who contracted when they got let go from a corporate gig just until the next one comes along. Hey, we ALL have to eat. I understand, but, you want to succeed, do the homework which includes mapping every aircraft and charter company within two hundred miles of your hooch. Go talk to some operators and see if they have a need for someone with your experience. Make a projection of sales, maintain a budget, save for next years training events. Do make your cold calls, sales calls, customer follow up calls. Track what your clients are doing, that way, you know what is needed. Year number one is the most difficult, because you have to start a business and save enough for next year too.

The above is what most people don't do. And they fail. What are you doing to limit your liabilities? Incorporate? Insurance? What can you you do to grow? Is moving to another city with a larger market a possibility?

These are some of the things that YOU need to know about to become a professional contract pilot. Flying is only about 15% of what the job entails. The type of aircraft is the markets choice not yours. It does not matter what you want to sell, it matters what the market wants to buy.
Good luck and pm me if you want more.

Don't buy your own BE400 type, any 135 outfit will have to type you anyway, and training contracts are rarely enforceable.

Latest resources

Back