• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What are some good aviation colleges ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually ERAU isn't that bad if you don't have an state college that offers aviation programs. It has the best book education in aviation.

But one thing, avoid flying at Riddle at all costs. Get everything done at home.

Edit: If your profile is correct and you are a FO, that means you have everything done, so never mind last statement.

Last edited:
TIME called Riddle "the harvard of the sky". I think it is true. You want the best aviation education you can get, go to Embry-Riddle. It will cost you, but it is the best you can get.

Riddle v. the others

I worked at ERAU. I had students who went on to regionals, freight and the majors. I gave a stage check to one of our moderators, who has made it big in corporate flying. Riddle certainly provides a great education and excellent flight training. To a very large degree I believe that you get what you pay for by attending Riddle. It certainly is not the only college that provides a great education and excellent flight training.

U.N.D. is in that category. So is Purdue. Western Michigan appears to provide a good program. Lane Community College in Oregon offers a great program but no multi, from what I understand. LeTourneau University in Texas has a good program. Parkes College in St. Louis. Metro State College of Denver has a good program. The point is there are many fine college flight programs.

Riddle offers a Professional Aeronautics program in which you get credit for your ratings. I don't know how much credit you'll receive; a lot may depend on if you earned them in a 141 program v. 61.

Above all, make sure the college you choose is accredited.

Do yourself a favor and get a degree to fall back on. You can go to any school you want but learn something useful. These days you'll need a degree in something other than aviation so you can still make some money when this industry hits the toilet. OOOps I mean when it hits th etoilet again. My ERAU degree isn't worth a poo stain if I'm not flying.

I'd have to agree with FLYnMONKEYS. Get a degree in something other than aviation. The airlines don't care what the degree is in just as long as you have one. The industries awaful right now, its still gonna be a quite some time before things start to look like they were post sept 11. So if you can't get a CFI job after college you at lest have a different field to fall back on untill something comes along. Oh yea its probably a lot cheeper too.

I used to think having a degree in something other than aviation would be beneficial for that "having something to fall back on" thing. The truth is I've seen many people who are furloughed right now who were engineers amongst other things who would not even be looked at. Reasons I have been told are that they've been out of it too long and there are more qualified people to do the job (our life story, right). My point is do whatever makes you happy.

I went to Louisiana Tech. They gave me enough flying credit (I had about 200 hrs when I started) that it knocked off 2 semesters worth of credit. It's a small program and very personal, also very reasonably priced. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Some of the best times of my life were there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back