Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metro State

de727ups said:
Metro State in Denver is a well known school if you're from Colorado...outside of that, nobody seems to ever mention it. Denver is a great town and the university is right in the middle of it. They have a few aviation degrees and a large indoor sim facility. They allow training at a few quality flight schools which keeps the flying costs way down compared to other places which require you to do it in house.
Metro is a large commuter school just outside downtown. No dorms. Good public transportation access. I knew one former faculty member who was a retired United pilot and, as it turned out, was one of my father's college roommates. He became one of my mentors and was first-rate. I know of an instructor there who has been known in Denver aviation circles for years. I flew with a young man who graduated from Metro's program who was a good pilot and instructor.

As far as the internship debate goes, Metro has a great internship program with United and several other organizations.

Last edited:
Re: WRONG!

Since 1926 said:
Wrong Bobby! You've been in the legal industry too long and don't know what you're talking about. ERAU has the most internships and direct-hire programs hands down...
The Riddler doth protest too much, methinks.

Since others are getting away from the original question, I'll stray... you're really, really limiting yourself getting an aviation degree. Get something you can get a job with outside aviation. on second thought... go ahead get that aviation degree! It means less competition out here for me! :cool:

UVSC student here. I think it's a wonderful program, & reasonably priced.:D

I went through the old threads and found this. I thought it was a good reply.
:)
Flic1 said:
I'll chime in on this topic since I've had to "fall back".

I've tossed this back and forth many times starting my junior year in H.S. I started my college education at a local school and did my flight training on the side. I then decided to finish my 4-year degree at a college with a large flight program. I really wanted a degree in Finance or something similar so I could "fall back" on it if needed. Getting an aviation degree allowed me to finish college a bit sooner since I got credits for my Commercial/Instrument that I obtained while still at my local college. Also, I decided to do the Aviation degree because hey, I loved aviation! If I'm going to dedicate a lot of $$ and time in it, I might as well study something I enjoy!

I have since had the misfortune of actually having to get a full-time job outside of aviation. I currently have a decent job in the Financial industry(hope to soon be back in the air soon though!) and had no problem getting the job with my Aviation degree. In fact, the interviewers were very intrigued by it. I work at a large investment firm and there is a large variety of degrees that people here have. There are certain industries that require specific degrees (ie Medical, Engineering, etc) There are also a vast amount of jobs where it doesn't matter at all. If you get an Aviation degree, don't feel like you won't be able to get a job elsewhere, it's not true. It's more exciting than an English degree and always sparks interest and conversation with the HR people.

If I had to do it over, I would probably have just stayed at the local college getting a Finance degree and trained at the local FBO. In my case, I feel my local Part 61 training was just as good as my Part 141 training at the "Aviation School". Airlines could care less what your degree is in as far as I'm concerned. At the same time, I don't regret getting the degree I have.

Saying you won't be able to get a job outside aviation with the Aviation degree is like saying you can't get a pilot job with an English degree IMO. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

I agree

safepilot24 said:

Point is do what you want to do NOW...who knows if there will be a tomorrow. I took so much pride and had so much fun learning at ERAU because it was what I wanted to do. Odds are you will do much better, and have an easier time learning new information when it is something you enjoy.

This is one of the best posts I've seen on this subject. I had a great time working hard, earning my aviation business administration degree at Riddle. I graduated with a 4.0, and yes, I was involved outside of academics and I had plenty of fun along the way too. It wasn't easy, but I worked hard and ended up with a great job about a week after graduation, even during the worst hiring downturn in recent history. I'm not naive enough to believe that this was all my doing; there was a lot of luck and being "in the right place at the right time" involved as well.

For a private, accredited university, I didn't find Riddle's tuition out of line with comparable schools - they are all expensive. I did my flight training part 61 off campus, however, which I would recommend.

I would also like to add that maturity plays a large role in pursuing an aviation degree. Honestly, I think I would have wasted my money and probably time had I gone to Riddle right out of high school. Instead, I allowed myself a couple of years to goof off and enjoy life before I got serious. College is supposed to be a growing time in one's life. Make sure you are ready to get serious should you choose to pursue an aviation degree.

Again, some good points here. The attrition rate at ERAU is high - because you just can't make it there if you screw around all the time and get wasted 3+ nights a week. Every year there were many freshman who never returned 2nd semester (sorry, I don't have specific numbers but it was a significant amount). I did go to Riddle right out of high school, but I came prepared to work. Sure, there are plenty of people there that skate by on Cs and the occasional D, just like anywhere else. Earning those kinds of grades makes it harder to find an internship (as well it should). No experience through internships makes it harder to find a job upon graduation (again, as well it should). I truly believe that if you apply yourself in college (no matter where you go), other opportunities will fall into place later much easier than they would have otherwise.

Also, speaking of internships, the best way to get one is to get yourself out there and create it for yourself, like FlyChicaga said. In fact, the ERAU career services office was probably more detrimental to me getting an internship than they were helpful. Misinformation, no information, misplaced paperwork, only helping certain students, etc etc. I created 3 different internships myself, basically by researching who was in charge of hiring where I wanted to work, and then doing some research about the company. One of the best (and not often discussed) ways to do so is to create your own internship by finding a 'problem' (or something you can help the company accomplish), and presenting a plan that includes how you can help, and why it would be mutually beneficial for the company and yourself. It worked 3 summers in a row for me.

Just some thoughts I had on the subject.

Agreed

I agree with the two previous posts above this one, and particularly so with Texan Aviator/Flic1. I like the "live for today" theme; sort of like the old Grass Roots tune.

Someone has posted the curriculum for Aero Science elsewhere on the board. It included such courses as Management and other business courses. I believe that there is plenty you can do with the degree besides fly, such as working in aviation management. Something like airport management or FBO management. I also believe the lab science requirements and flight phys can be put to good use elsewhere. Get your AGI-IGI and you can teach ground school or sim if you cannot fly.

I cannot overemphasize the importance, though, of just getting a four-year degree from an accredited school, in something. I understand Yip's comments that you don't need a degree to be successful in aviation, but disagree. Unfortunately, we have little control over our credentials. Some people hit the lotto and get multi and turbine early in scheduled ops. Others spend thousands of hours toiling as instructors. Education quals and airman certificates are things over which we have control. You have to put your best foot forward. Once more, just look at the typical app and you'll see how it is skewed toward college graduates.

Last edited:
I love it here at SIUC! I know we produce some great pilots. I'm on our NIFA Flight Team and I've flown against UND, ERAU-Prescott and Daytona, Western Michigan, Purdue (we kill 'em every year), Lewis, U of I, OSU, OU, Oklahoma State.....the list goes on. I'll tell you one thing. Our school is CHEAPER than Purdue. How many years have we made it to Nationals straight in a row? 30?!? Isn't that a national record? :) Oh, and last year we got 6th in nationals out of like 26 schools. How many people we're on our team? Like around 12? :) Think about that one for awhile. :)

<getting off my soapbox>

I've got to chime in on this thread morph....

One of the sad truths is that the national champion at NIFA is usually the team that wins most of the ground events. NIFA is, by nature, competitive. But, to claim the title of champion due to getting the most points in Aircraft ID, E6B, and SCAN is akin to earning the title "national geek".

Think about all the time they waste studying pictures of airplanes and trying to figure out the difference between a Cheetah and a Tiger! Kind of reminds me of an old "Saturday Night Live" skit when William Shatner attended a Star Trek convention telling the geekish crowd "Move out of your parents' basement, get a life.....you,....have you ever kissed a girl?".

Don't get me wrong, I think being part of a team is good for one's character as long as they keep things in perspective. Live your life.....no interviewer is going to care if you got first place in Aircraft ID!

Cheers!

GP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back