What airplane was it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
k_EAT=ho_ME said:
Hate to break it to you FN, but I think the other half is a lot more than half, in your particular case.:D
Hahaha...be that as it may, it still looks a little odd to see jet engines on top of a wing. However, I don't think I would balk if they would give me one of those on top of my Caravan fuselage, ala like you saw on those cargo planes the military had back in Vietnam.

Cessna could mount one up there just for the purpose of running it to provide enough bleed air for a hot wing deice system. It would look half as gay as a Honda jet with two engines on above wing mounted pylons and since it would be for providing bleed air only, we could still log valuble single engine atp time.

Actually there were 19 VFW614's produced with 13 actually entering service. I believe it was the German Air Force that still operated one as late as 1998.

There is one that is used for various tests including Airbus style fly-by-wire as seen here.

Also, one in the United States, N614GB, as seen here. According to the FAA registry, this aircraft is sn14 and owned by BAS Aviation Corp. of Wilmington DE.

2000Flyer

FN FAL said:
Hahaha...be that as it may, it still looks a little odd to see jet engines on top of a wing. However, I don't think I would balk if they would give me one of those on top of my Caravan fuselage, ala like you saw on those cargo planes the military had back in Vietnam.

Cessna could mount one up there just for the purpose of running it to provide enough bleed air for a hot wing deice system. It would look half as gay as a Honda jet with two engines on above wing mounted pylons and since it would be for providing bleed air only, we could still log valuble single engine atp time.

The aircraft you are thinking of was the Fairchld C82 Packet. Never flew even close to Vietnam. BTW you still need some medical attention for that gay problem you have. Better stick to somethimg you know about as it certainly is not aviation history.

Hugh Johnson said:
Might have been the civilian version of the Nimrod called the Comet. It went into service but crashed alot.

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Commercial_Aviation/PostWWII/Tran26G4.htm

"Crashed alot" is really not definitive of the Comet as a whole. There were two catastrophic accidents early after the introduction into service. Both occured down around Italy, or more specifically, Stromboli and Elba as I recall. The aircraft was grounded while the engineers went through hell to get the thing fixed and back up flying. Later versions of the Comets had a good safety record. You have to keep in mind that this was the first airliner of its type and there were a lot of unknowns to be discovered, sometimes the hard way.

I have a special interest in this aircraft having flown one once and one time only but none the less found it to be an interesting experience.

Spooky 1 said:
The aircraft you are thinking of was the Fairchld C82 Packet. Never flew even close to Vietnam. BTW you still need some medical attention for that gay problem you have. Better stick to somethimg you know about as it certainly is not aviation history.
I'm a bad rabbit... :eek:

Latest resources

Back