What AC at Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
fraccapt you obviously haven't really been in the cockpit of a XPC versus an H.

Actually, yes, I have. I don't see it being a big deal. That is, of course, assuming that pilots are kept current in BOTH types......not fly the XPC for one tour, then the XPH for 5 tours, then an XPC again.

We don't fly these planes on basic instruments only.

Maybe not "only"....but primarily. If you don't use the basic instruments, how would you know which way is up, your altitude, and how fast you're going? This isn't rocket science...this is aviation. Face it - what we do is not that demanding once you have a bit of experience at it.

The planes are very different. There is no way that NJA can alternate aircraft every tour. Making different fleets is the only SAFE way that the crews can fly the planes.

Although the basic instruments are the same. And they aren't even really the same the boxes are different. The switches are different. That can lead to problems by the crew.

What we do is demanding. We go into a lot of airports that don't have ils's and a non precision aproach is the norm. You better have your stuff together and not scratching your head when it comes time do start the aproach.

Diesel said:
Making different fleets is the only SAFE way that the crews can fly the planes.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

What we do is demanding. We go into a lot of airports that don't have ils's and a non precision aproach is the norm.

I do the same flying you do, and IMO, 98% of the time it's not very demanding. Occasionally there are extenuating circumstances, but most of the time it's pretty straightforward. If I didn't enjoy flying, and it weren't such an easy job, I wouldn't be doing it. The primary thing that allows us to do this job safely is experience, which is why we should be compensated far better than we are.

Once again, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about how difficult/demanding this job really is.

FracCapt said:
...of course, assuming that pilots are kept current in BOTH types......not fly the XPC for one tour, then the XPH for 5 tours, then an XPC again.
Frac, you pretty much answered this yourself. This is exactly why our guys don't fly both aircraft. You never know when our how frequent you will fly either one.

FLOPS considers (considered ?) safety: one captain flying a certain n-number aircraft (primarily).

NJA considers safety: All cockpits identical so all pilots are familiar with all n-numbers (of a type).

Mach92 said:
Well the practice of going to Hawaii and back is NOTsupposed to happen. I "hear" it used to occur from time to time. Ifthey were doing this the other day it was for sure "A" team # 1 because99% of us wont do that. I bet it was a former APM or something "takingone for the team"

We go out at .85 or .86 untill the ETP then push it up back to .91 orwhatever ISA will give us. Thats going over, comming back I have donemax speed most of the time.

what happened to constant mach? do you call atc for permission to bump up the speed?
try coming back with no pri/sec stab trim when it fails at etp! that's not fun!

Jeze do you really work in this industry?

Asaping, loading bags, taking off out of some airport you never heard of. Trying to figure out whats around you. As you takeoff into some snowstorm after showing bucky how to fire up the deicer.

Then you climb atc changes stuff on you. Both are you are working like mad. Figuring out if your going to make it because the headwind is higher than expected. Oh wait your not going to make it. So now it's a change. Head to the new airport. Whip out the charts. Figure out the weather. make the changes. Call dispatch let them know your diverting and make sure they have paperwork.

Land in some god knows where fbo. Fill er up. Let the pax know whats going on. Get the new release go out to the plane. fire it up get everything set up and run the depart out of some place who knows where. Start heading back on your destination route.

Did i lock the fuel door?

Now throw in the fact that your used to the airplane but you can't just fine the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** nav button because this plane is not what your used to.

98% v. 2%

FracCapt: you say

I do the same flying you do, and IMO, 98% of the time it's not very demanding.

FracCapt -- call me a stickler or pain in the a$$, but to me (and my family and employees I put on the aircraft) that 2% is very important. I probably fly 40 legs on NJA per year, make that 200 legs over my 5 year contract. 2% "excitement" is 4 more legs than I need to worry about. I take chances at the racetrack, I take chances on the stcok market, I take chances on companies I buy, I do not take chances with my family or employees.

To paraphrase many, many, many posts I have seen on this board, flying is 99% boredom and 1% you gotta know what you are doing.

Fly safe.

As a former H-1000 driver at Netjets I will try to answer some of the questions for new hires, and fellow Netjet drivers please correct me if Im wrong.
First, the aircraft your hired in depends on your total overall experience and jet time, ie. type ratings for any of the aircraft Netjet has in there fleet, however a type is NOT needed, only helps. (If your already typed in a Hawker or Citation chances are thats what you will be flying if they have a slot for you -and you have the experience to match it)
Second, if you have a choice...and listen carefully all you "first time jet jockeys"..especially the ones going through initial indoc-choose a fleet that is comfortable to fly in and doesnt fly 5 legs per day on a 6 day tour!!!. I have seen first hand ex- X program managers try to steel or talk initial 800XP FOs into going into the X because Netjets were parking them on the west coast back in 2000 because they did not have enough pilots at the time for that fleet....alot of these guys were ex-military prop guys that were "creaming" themselves to get into the .92 "X" racing machine...(which is a great machine, not taking anything away from the X guys) However, one thing these PMs' didnt tell the newbees is that that the X's do international and Hawaii and in the states they fly there buts off as much as the Ultras used to do. Remember..the X can go .92 which is great, however- you have that much more duty time to give the company, which means more legs...Also remember that IT DOSENT MATTER WHAT YOU FLY AT NETJETS because EVERYONE IS PAYED BY THEIR SENOIRTY whether you fly 5 legs per day or 2 legs per day...do the math gentlemen. So in closing, try to find out what fleets fly the most and least for your personal flying tastes. If my memory serves me correct the x's used to fly quite a bit, as well as the Ultras and xls'. The 800XPs flew and average amount as did the 1000's. The Falcon 2000s' a little less so than the Hawker fleet. I know nothing about the G-200's One more thing...find out from guys on the inside which fleet has the best Chief pilots...used to be called Program Managers...A good PM is worth his/her weight in gold...right NJ guys? Just my .02cents worth....fly safe gents. and ladies.

Last edited:
Yes Bizjet......Call AIRINC they call OAK they get back to us and say yea or nay. I dont just "push it up" sorry I dint add that.

Diesel said:
Asaping, loading bags, taking off out of some airport you never heard of. Trying to figure out whats around you. As you takeoff into some snowstorm after showing bucky how to fire up the deicer.

Do you let this stuff compromise the safety of your crew and pax? I don't. If it's not 100% safe, it's a no-go. Period. Plain and simple. How demanding is that?

Then you climb atc changes stuff on you. Both are you are working like mad. Figuring out if your going to make it because the headwind is higher than expected. Oh wait your not going to make it. So now it's a change. Head to the new airport. Whip out the charts. Figure out the weather. make the changes. Call dispatch let them know your diverting and make sure they have paperwork.

This is part of aviation, and is not specific to fractional aviation.

Land in some god knows where fbo. Fill er up. Let the pax know whats going on. Get the new release go out to the plane. fire it up get everything set up and run the depart out of some place who knows where.

Choose your fuel stops more wisely.

Did i lock the fuel door?

A simple walk around(while paying attention) before boarding would answer that. Isn't that a company policy? When all else fails...and you're in doubt while still on the ground...stop. Figure it out. If you're in the air...well, that's where your EXPERIENCE and TRAINING comes into play.

Now throw in the fact that your used to the airplane but you can't just fine the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** nav button because this plane is not what your used to.

Been there. Took me a few seconds, max, to find it. In the meantime, I used the AI to keep the greasy side down. There are at least 3 in each airplane, you know.

Sorry dude, you're not going to convince me that what you do is any more difficult than what I do....and what I do is NOT difficult.

Latest resources

Back