• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

western michigan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Glad to see you have interest in our school. Its true that we are upgrading to S-20/22's. I believe we are getting 20 of the 20s and 10 of the 22s, but im not sure. The deal is still slightly in negotiations as there was some wording in the contract that got messed up. As far as I know though, our first shipment of the Cirrus' will be at the end of August.

Like any school Western hasits pros and cons. Ill sort them out as they appear to me.

Pros
Loads of parties and Alcohol oppurtunities. Since Kalamazoo has 5-6 microbreweries we have loads of good beer at our disposal.
Loads of hot chicks, Id bet most colleges have that though, and compared to a school like Embry Riddle of North Dakota, we have a smaller percentage of Aviation sudents to the total school body, so you can still use being a pilot to score with women. YAY!
Our loaction allows for students to get acquanted with the ATC system gradually, since they will be starting from 2 class D airports, with flights into C, and eventually B airspace.
Instructors. Many of our instructors have come from here, so they are familiar with the program, and know its ins and outs.

Cons
Weather. Like someone else said, the weather here in the winter can stop us from being able to fly as much as we like. This can also be a plus though as I have 1.7 of actual, but havent yet gotten my Instrument rating.
Living situations. The main aviation facility is in Battle Creek, but campus is in Kalamazoo 30 miles away, so you arer gonna be doing a lot of driving. there is talk that we may get a shuttle bus to battle Creek from KAZO, but I doubt it.

Im sure there are others, but These are the main ones. If you want any more info, let me know and Ill try to get it for you.

I graduated from WMU in Dec. 2001. It was the best time of my life. I loved the program, didn't get to instruct there though, being post 9/11. They really weren't too interested in hiring. All in all, it's a very professional environment and seemed like a fun place to work, at least when I was there. Check out The Wayside, Up and Under, and The Firehouse. All good places to go if your thirsty.

As of now they are hiring like mad. We have a batch of 8 new instructors going through right now, they generally hire about that many a semester.

WMUchickenhawk said:
As of now they are hiring like mad. We have a batch of 8 new instructors going through right now, they generally hire about that many a semester.

I wouldn't consider that "hiring like mad".... but that's just me.

Kream926 said:
anyone go to or work at this school. i met a couple of really cool guys there and i was considering applying there as a cfi. any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Graduated from there, and have a buddy who is a CFI there. Good school.

Went to WMU 1983-1986......lived in the Valley (Garneau) and then went off campus. The airport stuff was still at KAZO and was easy to get to. Interned there and had a blast.

The best instructors were awesome.....learning from old schools like Schiffer and Hutch, Sackett and Deckard.

Know Schiffer has passed on, Hutch probably too. What is up with Deckard and Sackett? Are they still around?

True, there are lots a beautiful women and definately a party a day.

A350

A350 said:
Know Schiffer has passed on, Hutch probably too. What is up with Deckard and Sackett? Are they still around?

A350

Deckard is back on the faculty side of things (I think he retired before that), and Sackett retired a couple of years ago, but is one of the main DPEs for students at the school.

Gutenberg said:
Have you seen how many beaches are within an hour or so's drive from AZO?
South Haven's about an hour west of AZO. Not a bad place. Otherwise it's inland lakes.
WMU should own the sky in BTL in a few years when the guard base gets closed by the BRAC.

If youre in Tulsa and in need of a job, over here in Stillwater we're looking for CFI's. Good connections at airlines and the chance to snag a ME student is pretty high. Ok State has some good parties; a hell of a bball team and a nice airport, dont expect to fly any sr-22's though.

Latest resources

Back