Well, how about these regs.?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cvsfly

We are Part 135 & 91 with a BE-B200 planning a Caribbean flight..
1) What determines the RNP of a RNAV system. We have a single UNS-1M approved for enroute Class I nav and approach (except VNAV) and its manual references TSO specs but I can find no RNP value. I do know for example that RNP 10 requires specific aircraft and crew certification.
2) Considering a flight offshore for example coming down AR3 from Carolina Beach to Nassau direct to ZLS direct to MBPV, would this be considered Class I nav? (available navaids, if they are working, are ZMH ndb, ZQA vor, RSD ndb, ZLS ndb, PV ndb, GTK vor) Our Ops Spec authorize using our single UNS-1M with stipulations (within radar off-airway, use as primary working ground, Class I navaids that define airway or off-airway routing) Longest out of range areas are say from OLDEY on AR3 to CARPS and ZLS to PV. Considering the definition for Class I being nav within OSV, are designated airways considered within Class I nav since they are flight checked or would this be a case where you could do this flight PT 91 and not 135?
3) Where do you find the restrictions - at what point do you determine that a particular route requires dual RNAVs?
Is this for anything that is defined as ClassII nav.?

I this flight is part 91 I wouldn't worry about it, just go and have a blast in Provo. Great diving and good parting too. If the flight is part 135 then, to the best of my knowledge, you ( the crew and the aircraft) need to be checked by the FSDO to meet the nav regulations. Depending on how big your company is, this may have already been done during proving runs for one of your a/c types. check your ops manual. while you are checking it make sure you are authorized to fly in that region of the world.
I went through this with a company I used to work for, even though we had a certified GPS we had to fly airways down there until we got flight checked on proving runs for our hawker.
Sorry I've been so vague. Hopefully you can do it Pt 91.
Cappy

We are approved for the region and we are approved using our FMS/GPS for RNAV with certain limitations. We have to use the ground navaids as primary - so they have to be working. Off airway we have to have ATC radar - anyone know if thair any radar gaps between Nassau and Provo (FL 230 - 270)? My big question is the the interpretation of the definition of Class I navigation. My thinking is if we fly airways down we are fine - aren't established airways (considering limitation notes) considered Class I nav since they are flight checked even if portions may be outside defined Operational Service Volumes.

At that altitude you will be out of radar contact for a little while on A555 from about 20 miles south east of ZLS to 20 - 40 miles SE of INDEE intersection. I agree with you about the airways thing. If you are on it you should be fine. That is how we used to take our /A King Air.
Pete.
PS remember down there flight levels go down below 180
(FL-070 = 7000 ft with 2992 in the little window.) Check the approach plate to find out the transition level.

Thanx for the response Capthuff. I was hoping for more respondants. I always confuse the difference between Transition Level and Transition Altitude. Would you consider all designated V, J, G and A airways (domestic and Caribbean) to be within Class I navigation (without any *notes) regardless of the VOR & NDB Operational Service Volumes as defined in the AIM or IFIM? Obviously with GPS direct navigation Part 91 is not a problem. Part 135 and with /G equip., ATC doesn't know your Ops Spec limitations - will ATC attempt to take you off airway, direct nav? Do you have to explain your regulatory limitations if you refuse direct nav?

I'm not sure about the A and G routes being class 1 nav ... I believe they are. I'll make some calls tomorrow to some friends that know the answer. As far as atc is concerned, Once you pass INDEE and are back in radar contact they might give you direct destination. if you refuse it, they really dont care and they wont question you. On the other hand if you want to go direct I'm sure you wont get ramped. but you didnt hear it from me and I'm not necessarily endorsing it.
Cappy

Latest resources

Back