Welcome to United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

talespin

Wow I just read the position report from this week and I was taken back to my Air Wisconsin days when we flew under contract for United Airlines. I thought our treatment was a product of being the red headed step child, however it is very clear the same old culture still exist today.

There were many commutes back then that were less than pleasurable, due only to the gate agent you were unfortunate enough to deal with. Earlier this week I walked up to the gate and ask for the jump seat only to have the agent raise her voice at me with a big "NAA AAHHH your not getting on this flight, the flight is closed". I calmly told her the flight doesn't leave for 15 minutes and the jetway is still attached to the aircraft. "Did you hear me the flight is closed"! Thankfully the gentleman at the gate took care of me.

Let me be very clear that the United Pilots then and now have been very accommodating, which reflects their professionalism. It is the rest of the United corporate culture that brings me back when. I'm sure Continental has it's share of some disgruntle employees, however in the past 7 years I've spent at this airline I can honestly say I've never been a victim of an angry gate agent. At Continental I've only been treated with the respect of a fellow employee. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe it is what it is.

Had my first run in with the gate agent from hell in Houston the other day.

I Know what you mean!!

That blows.... I'm sorry to hear that. I've dealt with some very good CSAs and once in a while, extremely rude ones at all airlines. Sadly enough, they have forgotten the meaning of the word "service" -Customer Service Agent. Fortunately, they can be replaced in a heart beat.

Go to the window, wave furiously and try to get the attention of the crew. A good flight crew will take a walk out in the gate area to make sure no tyrannical agent is leaving stand-by passenger behind.

You think those are bad, the old NWA ones in MSP were a real treat to deal with. Sometimes I had to call my scheduling department and tell them that the gate agent would not let me board even though I explained to them that I was positive space. No skin off my back you old Bat, I will not be at fault for missing my dead head and my next flight canceling-it will be you. Their phone usually rings in a few minutes and I am handed a boarding ticket. Things had improved after Mesaba was bought by NWA and actually are even better with the delta change over. I think there is more on everyones mind lately than taking their aggression other employees

I had a habit of walking up to the gate area 5 prior to departure to check for jumpers and nonrevs at bad stations-
I stole the habit from a UAL captain and think its a good reminder here

That blows.... I'm sorry to hear that. I've dealt with some very good CSAs and once in a while, extremely rude ones at all airlines. Sadly enough, they have forgotten the meaning of the word "service" -Customer Service Agent. Fortunately, they can be replaced in a heart beat.

And the airline's leadership forgot that their "service" agents are humans and have treated them so awful and put them in such in-winnable, undermanned situations- while slashing pay and granting themselves immense bonuses- it's amazing that anyone shows up for work-
I agree- but it starts at the top at united. I hate the employee on employee crimes- but lets place blame where it begins

That kind of thing pisses me off. When did it cease to be the captain's airplane, and become the gate agent's airplane?

AA is terrible too...agents are under orders to close the door 10 minutes early. I look for JSers in the computer when I pull the flight plan and walk the gate area until under 5 minutes of scheduled departure, much to their displeasure. They will leave people at the gate with empty seats. As I've heard AA agents say, "It's my job to close the door on time, not put people on." Not on my watch....

That kind of thing pisses me off. When did it cease to be the captain's airplane, and become the gate agent's airplane?

Only one person can release the parking brake. Be judicious, but never forget that.

Latest resources

Back