weight limit for Taos NM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wantfrys

Anybody fly a G-V in to Taos? I called down their to ask about weight limits and was told "V's come in here all the time". When I asked for a copy of the survey they couldn't find one. Air nav shows a single wheel of 24000 and no data for double.

Thanks

Somewhat related...A local airport manager once told me that the numbers you see published are stress limits for regular use. For non-regular operations the concrete could take a lot more weight. He just had to personally approve the heavier than published operations when needed. I'm not sure if that is the case everywhere but for those who fly the bigger stuff it never hurts to talk to the airport manager if you are above published numbers and still want to used that airport.

No fat chicks allowed!

I've been in there with a V. No problem, ramp space is very tight and we did not spend the night. We were told no RON's for IV's or V's.

Lord did we have trouble with weight limits back when I was flying 727s. Sometimes you can go by the AIM and sometimes you can't. Once I landed at an airport in Texas, the AIM was right on the money for a 727-100 weight, but we still called the airport manager, I really think he was a bartender in town, and he said "no problem, come on in."

So I did, the back end crew lower aft airstair and about three minutes later the FE came running back to the cockpit and yelled '"Crank it up, crank it up and get it moving." We were sinking into the ramp. As soon as we got two engines running I started to try to taxi, it took a lot of power, but we finally started moving and didn't stop until I landed at the next airport.

But then again the 727 has the highest foot print of any aircraft I know.

They have a PCN of 19 which equates to a tandem (GV) weight of 70K. We took AF G5's there all the time over the last few years. Just watch some of the taxiways, they are also very low PCN's.

Lord did we have trouble with weight limits back when I was flying 727s. Sometimes you can go by the AIM and sometimes you can't. Once I landed at an airport in Texas, the AIM was right on the money for a 727-100 weight, but we still called the airport manager, I really think he was a bartender in town, and he said "no problem, come on in."

So I did, the back end crew lower aft airstair and about three minutes later the FE came running back to the cockpit and yelled '"Crank it up, crank it up and get it moving." We were sinking into the ramp. As soon as we got two engines running I started to try to taxi, it took a lot of power, but we finally started moving and didn't stop until I landed at the next airport.

But then again the 727 has the highest foot print of any aircraft I know.

Unfortunately the AFD only gives you information for the runway and not the ramp or even the taxiways.

So I did a little research. This is from the AFD Legend:

Runway strength data shown in his publication is derived from the available information and is a realistic estimate of capability at an average level of activity. It is not intended as a maximum allowable weight or as an operating limitation. Many airport pavements are capable of supporting limited operations with gross weights of 25-50% in excess of the published figures. Permissible operating weights, insofar as runway strengths are concerned, are a matter of agreement between the owner and user. When desiring o operate into any airport at weights in excess of those published in the publication, users should contact the airport management for permission....

So, the case of Taos, prior permission will need to be granted by the airport. You may even consider getting an LOA for your aircraft so that you don't have to call them every time you go in there.

Thanks for all the replys

I did contact them. I was just seeing if the answer I got was correct. I've made many calls before where the reply was "Oh yea we have many V's come in" only to find out that it was IV's and we had a problem parking.

Latest resources

Back