Weather Radar Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello,
I was an airborne RADAR operator in the military, and I cannot ever recall being trained that the RADAR set should always be "ON". Just to clarify a few things about RADAR, it will damage the older type sets if you are constantly turning it on and off i.e., multiple legs, multiple days. You get the idea.
The magnetron is the "guts" of the RADAR, and in order to preserve it's life. Turn the set to SDBY only...DON'T transmitt the thing unless you need it. I think this is what Avbug means as well, but not 100% sure. I'm not a high-time pilot, but I am a high-time RADAR operator. If you need any questions answered, drop me a line here or a PM.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Weather radar is not the same radar. The general principles are similiar, but the function and use is not.

The heart of the unit is the magnetron. Unless the magnetron is energized on a regular basis, it's useful life will be drastically shortened.

Weather radar should be shut off before every engine start. Radar is highly susceptible to voltage transients and spikes, and can easily be damaged during start, or just after start.

You're not going to hurt a weather radar unit by transmitting, or turning it past standby to a weather function.

Latest resources

Back