weather deviations in non-radar IFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATCER,

Good to hear from you. I am relieved to have read from you that pilots can now visit ATC facilites again. Send me a PM and maybe we can set something up since I'm not too far from JFK. I have a lot of ATC questions and find it one of the most facinating, important and sophisticated systems in all of aviation.

In the WATRS airspace you reffered to what are the dimentions both laterally and vertically? When you were giving examples of legacy carriers and WX deviations, I'm assuming these are flights on a North/South track from the NE corridor to PR, Jamica, USVI, etc.

Last edited:
I would have to look up the exact figures for the dimensions of WATRS airspace... it's roughly from 300 miles or so offshore out to 60W and as far south as 23N. We own from 050 all the way up to FL600, some places we own as low 2500' ... all controlled airspace, that has gotten some pilots in trouble who tried to fly VFR not realizing that you would have to be below those alt's to be legal VFR.

The center is not near JFK... we are about 40-50 miles east on Long Island. I'm not sure of the tour status, there have been some security issues of late... I am not home at the moment but when I get home I will PM you a # you can contact to inquire about a tour. Do you work for a carrier ???

Your assumption of North South traffic to those destinations is correct... we work all that traffic (MKJS, TJSJ, TNCM, TIST, etc.) and also handle a large amount of the traffic transitioning to and from the North Atlantic serving points between the US and Europe and Africa.

Latest resources

Back