• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wearing your uni outside the work place

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only people who care about you wearing a uniform into a store are a few other pilots. Most people in the general public could care less of what your clothing of choice is while you are doing your weekly grocery shopping. I wouldnt wear my uniform out on an all day Saturday shopping spree, but if your passing by the store on the way home, who cares. I see all sorts of people in the store wearing uniforms (mechanics, etc..)coming home from work. Im not any different of a person in my uniform as I am out of it. Its all the same to me.

What about hanging out at the bar cruzzin for chicks? Does that work?

I've got to agree with learthirty5 on this one. It is just work clothes. Don't give it a second thought.

Besides how many times have you seen some other uniformed person do the same thing? Did you think they were some weird person? Probably not. If someone has a problem with it let it be just that their problem & not yours. The most difficult problem that I have run into when I stop on the way to or from the airport is that people what to talk to you & ask you all kinds of questions.

I'm with NCFlyer and learthirty5. The only reason this is such a big deal is because pilots think they are so cool. Therefore if someone strolls around in public while in uniform even if it is for a constructive reason then it must be because they are trying to look cool. Here is the reality of it...this has been quoted here before, and I will quote it again....read very carefully.

"The only people who are impressed by pilots are other pilots and little boys."

Nobody gives a dam about your uniform or the fact that you are a pilot...except, of course, other pilots. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if another random pilot I pass in the grocery store thinks I'm a tool or not. I will get over it.

Last edited:
Silent Partner said:
Yep, he had everything except the cap. I walked by and he looked shocked to see me as I was to see him and we both gave the "what's up" knod

But I was just trying to get input from what others think or do when you find yourself needing to stop somewhere public and you are in your airline uniform.
Did you get his number??

I was in the store yesterday and saw a postman and a UPS driver both in uniform. No big deal. In my own opinion you look like less of a tool in uniform (minus the hat) than you do "de-identifying" yourself. Now you're a guy in blue pants and a white short sleeved button-up shirt with funny flaps on the shoulders.

and by the way, dhc9fo, if you live in a military town, nobody thinks you are military. Don't wanna be the one to break it to you, man. Sorry.

Tex

The only "tools" are the people that are that spun up over wearing the uni away from the airport. Hell, I went out to eat with the fam at a BBQ joint on my way home from the airport tonight. Tie and ID came off... unbuttoned the two top buttons to let my man rug breath and ate some ribs. I don't think anyone gave two thirds of a purple fu(k that I dribbled sauce on my shirt.

Again, it's work clothes, who gives a sh#t?

I ride the "L" to work here in Chicago. You see all kinds of airport employees who have uniforms on. Somehow though it's only pilots who have a uniform embarassment issue. No one cares if you are a pilot. It's just what you wear to work. Just like the lav guy who wears his uniform and the bathroom cleaning lady who wears her uniform. You are nothing special so don't worry about wearing your pilot uniform.

Latest resources

Back