• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Weapons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's correct Timmay! Also I've had hunters bring weapons on my aircraft and TSA just watched us walk into the FBO with them and didn't utter a word.

I carry my gun with me almost every single time I fly. The only places I will not take my gun are those states where I do not have reciprocity with my Florida concealed permit. Currently, I'm good to go into 32 states. But you have to be careful where you take hunters with "handguns", because transport of "handguns" and some long-guns across state lines, in some states, is illegal. And in some states, the people with the guns can get up to 3 years in prison mandatory. Possible you could get into trouble for allowing it, don't know. Take people into New York State with a handgun, look up the Sullivan Act. New Jersey has something just like it. Bad trouble.

I also do not carry my gun to just any foreign country. I have in the past gotten written temporary authority to carry my gun into a country from that countries officials. You simply ask and apply. Its a yes or a no. Caribbean countries are the easiest.

A good question you have is whether or not a cop can walk up to your private plane and just start going through it. I would guess "no way". That means they can search cars, hangars and peoples offices. The FAA can;t even search a plane, they are just allowed to check and look for specific items. I highly doubt it inside the United States. Only time there's nothing you can do when law enforcement wants to search your plane is when you clear back into the USA. There's no way I'd ever let a cop search our planes at a corporate jet served airport at an FBO in any state. I'd lock it and tell them to get a search warrant, unless the boss said it was ok. If they find a gun, who cares. As long you are not posessing it illegally...meaning concealing it on your person without an acceptable license or its a state where handguns are simply not allowed, who cares if they see it. Even in New York/New Jersey long-guns are ok to own and carry from place to place, just not handguns.

I used to fly for a company out of Orlando, everywhere we went, regardless of which state, my boss had armed gaurds with him, but they all had federal license which allowed them to carry in every state.

But...what FBO do you fly out of that has TSA standing there? Just curious. I've never seen them at an FBO anywhere.

As mentioned earlier by someone, you're not supposed to take a weapon into a secured area of an airport "terminal" known as the "sterile area" of an airport. But there's no law that says you cannot carry a weapon, concealed on your person with a permit or in a proper case unloaded and locked anywhere on the grounds of airport that does not have a passenger terminal. An FBO is not a passenger terminal controlled under the same laws as an airline terminal at a large airport with "security checkpoints and defined sterile areas."
This is who I ask all of my law related questions regarding firearms, airports or transportation. They answer any questions and they do it for free. The best attorney for firearms questions in the country.
http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/m...ry_Code=Analysis-Florida-New-Self-Defense-Law

Last edited:
Let me ask this: what good is a gun do you in flight sitting in your holster? Unless you have reinforced cockpit door to "slow" someone down a bit, tactically you are a sitting duck!

I only carry my gun everywhere I go as to protect myself in the hotel and in the city, just like I do at home.
Arming pilots in cockpits, I think, is plain stupid and will stop nothing anyway. Most of the boobs I know will kill themselves first up there.

On a corporate jet, I know everyone that boards it. Or I trust my people to allow non-terrorists to fly with us only.

You might want to read Heller. The Supreme court has indicated therein that the 2nd amendment conveys an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Also, in most cases where firearms are being posessed illegally....but were used in self-defense, there are usually no criminal charges ever filed. Like Leo Goetts in New York City. Killed like 3 attackers and got off scott free. Used a concealed handgun.

So really, it falls back on the whole "right to bare arms". How can you prosecute someone that saved their own life from an attacker.

Signature @ ORD has a TSA checkpoint there. Score one for the Daly political machine to waste more taxpayer money.

Also, in most cases where firearms are being posessed illegally....but were used in self-defense, there are usually no criminal charges ever filed.
Wrong.

Like Leo Goetts in New York City. Killed like 3 attackers and got off scott free.
"Leo Goetts" was a character in a Mel Gibson movie. You may be thinking of Bernhard Goetz. He was charged with attempted murder and assault. He did serve a brief 8 month prison sentence, and did not get off "scott free." Ultimately he was convicted of criminal possesesion of a firearm. Of course, he also lost the subsequent law suits against him, suffering 43 million in damages based on the jury award against him, and declared bankrupcy.

So really, it falls back on the whole "right to bare arms".
That's the "right to bear arms," genius.

No doubt you also have the right to go sleeveless if you want, however. That's up to you.

How can you prosecute someone that saved their own life from an attacker.
An honest, but naive question, as it happens all the time. Including the situation which you just cited, with Bernhard Goetz. The circumstances dictate.

Historically there's a high probability that you will see your firearm confiscated and face prosecution if you injure or kill someone, even defensively. Where, when, what, and how it occured are important factors. Whether you go to jail or not, there exists also a high probability that you'll face a civil law suit. If the charges don't get you, the expenses will. The crowd loves to parrot phrases such as "molon labe" and "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six." Those who do have never been on the unpleasant end of a law suit against which it's out of their pocket to defend.

Press the trigger, and nobody wins.

Last edited:
Avbug,

The following quote from your post #76:

"You're a militia, are you? To which militia do you belong? You belong to a well regulated militia? "

clearly implies you believe belonging to a militia is a prerequisite for the "right to keep and bear arms" as enumerated in the 2nd Amendment. The so-called requirement to belong to a militia was one of the anti-gunner's classic arguements. Heller says otherwise. Unfortunately the court left somewhat open the meaning of "shall not be infringed" by indicating that some police regulation might not be out of the question. Personally, I think "shall not be infringed" means just what it says any law which restricts my right to "keep and bear" infringes that right. Getting that through a court in, say D.C. or MA. is another thing. I prefer to not fight battles I can't win.

Last edited:
(partial quote)

Historically there's a high probability that you will see your firearm confiscated and face prosecution if you injure or kill someone, even defensively. Where, when, what, and how it occured are important factors. Whether you go to jail or not, there exists also a high probability that you'll face a civil law suit. If the charges don't get you, the expenses will. The crowd loves to parrot phrases such as "molon labe" and "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six." Those who do have never been on the unpleasant end of a law suit against which it's out of their pocket to defend.

Press the trigger, and nobody wins.

None-the-less some might see that as preferable to being killed, seriously, perhaps permanently injured or maimed even after the court cases.

I believe I have a right to defend myself. The fact that current law might allow me to be charged and/or sued is a travesty. The solution is to change the laws. There are people working on that.

If you read some of the framer's thoughts regarding the right to bear arms, as opposed to just the verbiage in the 2nd amendment. It is clear that they thought each individual should have the right to bear arms.

Latest resources

Back