Ways to offset first year pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sonic340

Looking for ways that those of us with families and mortgages can get through the first year pay at most of the majors without going bankrupt. I hate to resort to credit cards and raiding the retirement account. There's always a home equity loan if you've got some available, and part-time jobs are pretty much out of the question due to the schedules and training. Some useful suggestions would be helpful as I've got a couple irons in the fire.

Looking for ways that those of us with families and mortgages can get through the first year pay at most of the majors without going bankrupt. I hate to resort to credit cards and raiding the retirement account. There's always a home equity loan if you've got some available, and part-time jobs are pretty much out of the question due to the schedules and training. Some useful suggestions would be helpful as I've got a couple irons in the fire.

This might help!!

www.safesexgetpaid.com

If you are outgoing and a people person, try getting your Real Estate license. Relatively low qualification expense for good potential gain and VERY flexible work/training schedule. Just be upfront with your broker from the beginnin and it will all be good. Plus every $.01 you spend even thinking about Real Estate (ie driving to airport to pick-up client) is a tax deducton and it is a nice deduction. Good Luck, klr

Uh, actually the only way to get through this is to shed debt.
If you cannot make it and will sink under debt waiting for the "payback years", I suggest downsize. I offloaded two vehicles with payments for two older cars free and clear, cheaper insurance also. Next, consider loosing the house if thats a payment you cannot shoulder. Lastly, if the women can bring in a reasonable income, get her into a job. Otherwise if you have kids, it is probably better she stays at home and does that stuff so you don't have to pay for cleaning, babysitting, etc. Cancel the extracuricular activities. Cancel all but one of your credit cards. Cancel all your department store cards, gas cards, costco card etc. Ditch the Dish network, you can live on network TV. Cancel the cellphone unless it's your only phone, cancel the magazine and paper, etc.

If you don't have one year of pay in the bank, do all the things I mentioned and you may make it to payback time. If you don't, going bankrupt ensures you will never be hired by an airline again if your layed off and the next job runs a credit check on you. Call your bankl and tell them whats up, they will work with you.

Anything else?

Spouse can also work if that is an option (at least part time if you have kids who require constant attention). Two incomes and two sets of benefits would be helpful. Living in a low income-tax state (ie, not NY) with a low cost of living is mandatory if you can stomach the commute.

Good luck.

Fitness Instructor at Golds or 24 Hr Fitness. Good deal because they are flexible with the hours and you get to work out and get paid. A buddy of mine does it and he brings in about 500 per month

On a side note too, this dude is getting laid wiht all the contacts. He has three different ladies that pay him to go to there house for personal training sessions. Of course they are all married (one to an American Capt) but that is his problem.

...those of us with families and mortgages...

Depending on your mortgage structure, you might be able to make a big difference in cash flow by restructuring things - even if just temporarily.

I've developed considerable expertise in this area during my 5 1/2 year furlough - now it's going to be my Plan B.

PM if you'd like to chat about your situation.

Taco.

Latest resources

Back