Way to go Pan Am Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

Congrats to the CFI that was able to land a Pan Am plane on a Phoenix city street at night! The instructor and student walked away. It was a Piper Arrow from Deer Valley airport.

50 Year Old John Ortegem? Was the instructor.

Great Job!

- AZPilot

Yes it was that guy, John O. Great job dead sticking an Arrow into a unlit residental street in the middle of the city.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about this yet, is there a link to an article about it?

On what street in Phoenix did they land?

Nov. 29, 2003 12:00 AM

22nd Street becomes runway for small plane

NORTHEAST PHOENIX - An instructor on a training flight dodged traffic to make an emergency landing in the dark Friday evening on 22nd Street near Greenway Road.

The Piper Cherokee developed engine trouble about 7 p.m. over Piestewa Peak. The pilot, who was aboard with a student, radioed Deer Valley Airport to say he was going down over Greenway.

"Fortunately, they found a vacant street just wide enough with no parked cars and they put it down on 22nd Street and skidded across Greenway Road," said Lt. L. Giebelhausen of the Phoenix Police Department. "It only took about a hundred yards to stop it."

There were no injuries and no damage to the plane or any other property.

from the Arizona Republic

That is impressive--

But, when I was back home in Scottsdale, about a year or two ago, I seem to remember a light civil crashing near Deer Valley airport, due to an oil system problem.

The only two I know of from back home. Just a thought!

Saw the video last night on the PHX news channels. They did a great job avoiding the power lines that were seen hanging across the street. No injuries, no damage, no deaths, no loss of property... no doubt the newsroom vultures must've been PI$$ED!!!

One bystander was interviewed saying something like, "Wow, that pilot's really gonna be a good pilot now!" (Gee, I guess he wasn't a good pilot BEFORE the incident!?!?! WTFO??) Whaddaya expect from the general public?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It took a hundred yards to bring a Cherokee to a dead stop?

AMATEUR!!

LOL!

Just kidding. Glad to see everything ended up working out for them.

Wow! "Okay, you can open your eyes now..." :D

That took some serious nerve...although I'll bet the I.P. had a cumulative attack of the shakes about ten minutes later. I would have!

They would have needed the JAWS of LIFE to unplug my a$$ from the seat after that one. Good Job

Jobear

Latest resources

Back