Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swass

So long, America.....
I know alot of pilots are watch junkies. I have several but my old favorite standby is my Tag Heuer Professional, followed closely by my wannabe James Bond Omega SeaMaster.

What watches do you wear/prefer?

Bottom of the line Seiko I bought in a pawnshop 19 years ago. It's strapped on with a velcro diver's watchband. I've yet to encounter a cockpit timekeeping requirement that it's failed to fulfil. It gains about a second every couple of weeks. I hear Timexes work prety well too.

Swass said:
I know alot of pilots are watch junkies. I have several but my old favorite standby is my Tag Heuer Professional, followed closely by my wannabe James Bond Omega SeaMaster.

What watches do you wear/prefer?

Agreed, however I prefer the Omega to the Tag. I own an old Omega (was my fathers) and I bought a Tag for myself.

I even managed to talk a buddy (very careful with money) in to buying a Breitling (automatic). Nice watches, although all the watch purchasing is on hold durring the extended vacation.

NYR

Last edited:
The Citizen WR 100 is the hands down winner for pilots. It has the capability to display three time zones at once. I keep the small digital window on UTC, the large digital window on the zone I'm in, and the hands on my home time zone. It has the simplified E6B outer bezel but I don't really use it. It also includes a stopwatch and two alarms. Best of all it is light on the wrist unlike the Rolex and older TAGs. The price is right as well. I bought my current one in Spain a couple of years ago for $100.

The newer Citizen pilot watches are too big and heavy.

The Breitling Titanium is a nice looking watch and would be my second choice.

Typhoonpilot

If we're only talking PILOT watches...

The daily-wear watch is a Timex Expedition. Two time zones in the LCD section plus the dial, so a total of three. Perfect. Keep it for two years, and when the battery dies, throw it out and buy another. All for about 80 cents/month. :) I wouldn't personally get one of the Citizen Navihawks, primarily because it seems like every other guy I work with has one (usually a birthday present, it seems!).

Not partial to the Omega Seamaster series... Gimme a SPEEDmaster any day, esp. the "Moon Watch." Just wish it had a GMT function... The titanium Breitling Professional is a no-brainer, as is a Rolex Submariner GMT. TAGs are great as dress watches, but I think I'd stick with an Omega for work.

A couple you might not have thought of... Wenger Commando Chronograph (no GMT) and the Fortis Fliegler (with GMT), both Swiss and both very nice with a huge face that looks pretty sweet. Also, if you can find one, a Pacardt (German) is very nice

All of the above are great watches, but I think I will mostly stick to the Timex for bashing about the cockpit. I sure would hate to damage a two thousand dollar watch at work...

Fossil does the trick for daily use for me. I survive on what I can afford until I can get a brietling I have long awaited purchasing....I guess that goes along with the planes I wanna buy :p

1995 Breitling Aerospace - Titanium & Gold with a Black face

It's been dropped, run over (self induced), neglected, etc. yet keeps running and doesn't show a scratch.

It even got me into the Breitling Hospitality Tent at show center during the Nellis AFB 50th Anniversary Air Show.

I wish you success!

haha that brings up a funny story...

This Yugoslavian dude I know, he owns a dropzone nearby. He always brags about how he bought his way into the country by paying an "American" girl to marry him...well anyway, I give him crap all the time about his "CITIZEN" watch.

I'm partial to Seiko's, since they were Navy issue back in the day at Harbor Clearance Unit TWO and I still have one that I been fond of for over 20 years.

" as is a Rolex Submariner GMT. TAGs are great as dress watches, but I think I'd stick with an Omega for work."

I am thinking of getting a Rolex Submariner 2 tone or a Sea Dweller. I already have a 18k president's day/date for business occasions but I think it looks goofy on me (I'm 29 and look like I'm 19). Since I don't work in aviation I don't need all the gadgets (although I like the look).
I do alot of scuba and travel, low profile watches don't attract attention like the Presidents bling, bling gold when I'm in "suspect" locales (Mexico etc.)

Last edited:
I have a non-GMT Fortis Fliegler. People always ask me if I have poor near vision. (It's readable from across the room) Tritium markings are a great thing, too.
Complaints against my Citizen Navihawk- unable to read at night (no lighting, and the numbers aren't tritium. They glow for all of 5 minutes) and the %*@_) band. Maybe I am just hard on watches, but I snapped band pins at least a dozen times before the final break did the watch in.
As much as I'd love to buy a Seamaster GMT, regional airline pay is not conducive to obtaining such luxuries.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back