• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out for another competitor other than EK, EY or QR: Turkish Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where do you get the idea things aren't turning around in Europe?.
The SAS pilots that just started training with us a few months ago and the non stop number of applications from pilots from the EU to this and every other contract available in Asia.

The SAS pilots that just started training with us a few months ago and the non stop number of applications from pilots from the EU to this and every other contract available in Asia.

Hmm, I have family members, friends and neighbors who work for several large European airlines who say differently.

Hmm, I have family members, friends and neighbors who work for several large European airlines who say differently.
I have 100 plus coworkers that thank you for the laughs, I just had to post your predictions of the pilot shortage in Europe on our intranet.

I have 100 plus coworkers that thank you for the laughs, I just had to post your predictions of the pilot shortage in Europe on our intranet.

That is fine, I'd be happy to offer references if you are trying to make it a contest. :rolleyes:

Nah, thanks.....! I rather go by the number of applicants from the EU

Okay, and I will go by what I see living here in the EU, by the European legacy airline that provides half of my household income, the neighbor who flies for a large European airline, the in-law who works in training for another European airline, the two parents of my kids classmates who fly for European airlines, the friend who just got hired by a large European legacy airline, and the other friend who works for CAE/Parc Aviation simulation here in Europe.

You can quote Tony Blair if you like, but until I see even a slight reduction in applications to this and other contracts I can't even begin to entertain the possibility, if anything the applications have actually increased and this information is from the head hunters. Sorry but the facts don't support your claim.

The two factors may not be mutually exclusive. Hiring may be picking up in the EU, but people still may be going to contract gigs for any number of reasons. We're seeing that currently in the US as well. The majors are finally starting to hire, but people are still going to EK and such.

Turkish Airlines hires foreign pilots for safety: CEO
ISTANBUL Anadolu Agency

CEO Temel Kotil attended the graduation ceremony of two-year students of THY Flight Training Academy Jan. 14.

Turkish Airlines (THY) employs foreign pilots to attain global quality standards, the CEO of the company said, while speaking at the graduation ceremony of the Turkish pilot academy students.

"We need pilots. Aren't there any in Turkey? There are in some schools, but we cannot take them because they are not qualified for our criteria," THY CEO Temel Kotil said on Jan. 14 at the graduation ceremony of two-year students of THY Flight Training Academy.

Nobody should be offended, but we need to maintain some certain level of quality. I dont want to say "unsafe" referring to those pilots, but they don't fit with our criteria, he stated, noting the company will keep hiring foreign pilots because of these concerns.

Some 63 pilots graduated yesterday and will begin performing their duties for THY planes, Kotil also said. "We wish safe flights for them."

He also said the THY does very well and targets servicing around 60 million passengers this year.

There obviously is a global need for pilots, and it's gonna get worse. Throw in SE Asia (Air Asia and Lion Air recruitment), the ME, China, and huge numbers of US retirements, and this will get interesting. Even DL supposedly informed their subsidiary Endeavor that hiring will increase to 600 from 300 this year, even though most think it could be higher than that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Skymark is an Asian carrier flying 737s.they just parked 4 airplanes due to a lack of about 65 crew. I was just on the Rushdie site...I have NEVER seen so many pilot jobs on their site.

Latest resources

Back