watch for the bird --- ejection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AdlerDriver said:
What would "straight ahead" done for him? The runway was behind him. The straight ahead thing is if you're going to stay with the aircraft and ride it in. His only option was jumping out if he couldn't make the runway. At least he tried that until it was obvious there would be no restart and the runway was not close enough.

I was just thinking that straight ahead = better airspeed maintenance and less altitude loss. Both of which work to your advantage whether or not you're gonna punch out.

I dunno why the guy thought he could make it back to the runway from 800' in a jet, although I guess I would have tried that too initially.

It looked to me anyway, that the guy could have just dead sticked it on the clay and been better off. Where it crashed it looked flat as hell, can't say about the surroundings though.

TDTURBO said:
It looked to me anyway, that the guy could have just dead sticked it on the clay and been better off. Where it crashed it looked flat as hell, can't say about the surroundings though.

Thats what I was thinking. Why not dead stick it on the ground?

MVSW said:

Maybe they drop like rocks and you have to fly them in, donno, I wish someone that flys one would comment. It would seem hard to imagine any plane getting certified that couldn't be dead sticked in though.

Again, what the hell, it ain't their money, screw the plane. They still got messed up ejecting. I think I would have just landed it, instinct I guess, I own it, I ain't jumpin out of it!

Last edited:
MVSW said:

What do the EP's (or whatever they call them up north) say? I'd rather eject. Deadsticking an airplane whose best glide is going to be in the 130KT range into a field is probably not the best of ideas.
If he they had an option for a runway, go for it. But there are probably not to many incidents where a fast jet (yea I know) successfully landed engine out in a field.

It may not have been possible to deadstick. I'm not familiar with the systems on the Hawk but on other aircraft if the flight controls are hydraulicly actuated and the hydraulic system gets its pressure from the engine then with an engine failure you lose the ability to control the aircraft, either right away if the engine froze due to the bird, or if you've still got windmilling hydraulics, you lose control while slowing down on short final. I'd hope that since it's a single engine jet that it'd have some redundancy though. Even if it could deadstick, it's got a seat for a reason, no need to go offroading in a vehicle not designed for it. Just take the seat.

Am I the only one that thinks they did a fantastic job??? They converted airspeed to max altitude, had enough time to attempt restart, maneuvered to an unpopulated area, and exited the airplane when it wouldn't work out..... sounds like a damn fine job to me.... airplanes can be replaced, not lives.

Dead-sticking a single-engine, hydraulically actuated A/C in after a birdstrike at 800ft.?!!! The only thing that makes sense about that statement is the word dead.

Latest resources

Back