WASINC Interview Info.???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dcman

Has anyone interviewed with World Aviation Services Inc. for the JALWays positions. If so I would appreciate any info about the interview and working for JALWays, particularly the schedules and the training in Tokyo.

Thanks.:D

I don't know what their mins for hours is but I do know you must possess a jet type rating. I think they look to see hours are commensurate with exp. Good Luck

Before you sign for a position with JAL, recommend you talk to expats flying there. I understand that the physical is VERY rigorous and the training is very very anal. BIG cultural gap if you don't fly with an all round-eye cockpit crew.

okay...........new guy here...........i've been reading for a while now but didn't want this post to get by so i'm officially registered now.........you want to dig into this wasinc a little deeper.........the info i have is second hand from another post (unfortunately, as is usually the case, i can't remember what board it was on)........essentially wasinc is a new crewing company set up by ex (or maybe current) jalways crews.........they have gotten the contract by underbidding iasco and hawaii aviation services.....this means they also pay their crewmembers less than the ex-pats currently on contract there............the post i read had a response from a current line flying jalways crewmember and he stated that the situation was creating some tensions in the cockpit............as i said, this is second hand, but i'd look closely before i leapt.................

good luck.

see ya.

June 28, 2001
HAWAIIAN AVIATION CONTRACT SERVVICES (DC-10 & B-747 Pilots)
3375 Kaopaka Street, F-220-14, Honolulu, HI, 96819
Tel: (808) 836-1066
Fax: (808) 836-1266
Email: none
Web Site: none
UPDATE! Pilots for Wide-body Aircraft. Flying from HNL - Captains and First Officers for B747(Classic). Captains req: 5000 hours fixed wing pilot flying time; 3000 hours in jet a/c which require 2 pilots; 1000 hours jet PIC time. F/O req: 3000 hours fixed wing pilot flying time; 1000 hours as pilot in jet a/c which require 2 pilots. Both require ATP license with commercial jet type rating. Height/Weight proportional. Submit resume, pilot license, radio permit, medical, and i.d. page of passport to Hawaii Aviation at address shown. NOTE: Please be advised that many of our contract pilots who fly for Japan Airlines / Jalways from Honolulu, Hawaii are leaving in anger, due to cultural differences with the Japanese Management from JAL. The enviroment working within Japan Airlines can and will be difficult. The moral amongest our Pilots and Flight Engineer's is very poor. Please do not apply, if you feel you cannot work under these conditions. The Japanese will not change the working conditions, pay, days off, to accomodate foreign crewmembers. So don't think you will make any difference, you will not! Thanks.

Send this job to a friend! :eek:

-and-

http://www.pprune.org/
:p

Need to pass on my experience with Jal/Jalways for those interested in applying for work there someday.

Worked for Jal/Jalways for eight years-747, IASCO contract. Retired(completed last three year contract) because I was OK
financially by then-early 50's. Almost continued for a few more years-liked Hawaii(most people commuted however), but long
haul was getting tougher on the older body.

Left almost two years ago. The DC-10 people not too happy because of long trips, deadheading. Don't know other issues.
747 schedules were better. IASCO and Jal worked with commuters so most worked about two weeks on, then two off.
Base pay for 65 hrs. The 15-17 days worked then for us amounted to I think 75-77 hours for pay. FO's grossed 90+ to
100+/yr.(747 IASCO contract at that time). Aircraft flawlessly maintained. No delays. All expat crews except for few JAL Captns
on temp duty occasionally with us if we were short. And no, they weren't sent over to spy(intentionally at least). They were beaten
down old line pilots like us.

Difficult parts: Physical is too nit picky. Bureaucrats. Next hurdle-
6 to 10 months of training. Again, bureaucratic requirement. JAL
has to pay for it so they want normal checkout period-but. The training period in Japan is just long and tedious(or may be much shorter by now). Just have to mentally adjust if that's the job you
want. Once on the line it's a different world. Cultural part depends
on the person obviously. I did the hubbing and spoking in the States for years-with the delays, etc. -liked this much more, except for time zone crossings.

Finally, I know people there(747) who've been w/Jalways/IASCO for 8-10 years and don't plan to leave until they have saved enough or have an age problem. Sorry to ramble. Hope this helps
someone.

Forgot a couple of things.
For anyone not familiar with this kind of contract work, remember these are not negotiated deals, obviously. These contracts are essentially conditions of employment. Yes, the DC-10 people there were altogether not happy as I recall. But our(B747) contracts were always complied with by the employers. There were even some
significant improvements not in earlier contracts(no I haven't ingested any koolaid here). After years of 'asking', FO's began upgrading to CAPT. No formal seniority list, but accordind to date
of hire, and not being a complete basket case, FO's were upgrading.
Our three year contracts always said 10 hard days off at base. Yet
as more people began commuting to mainland(wording in contract also stated that this was a 'non-commuting base'), schedules were adjusted(B747) so commuters could go home with
more than 10 days.
Finally, discussions many times with cynical, oldtimers I flew with and we'd agree that it wasn't perfect, but about best contract job
out there at the time(again 747, not -10).
Think about pooling resources if needed and send a runner to Hnl
and intercept Jalways crew heading to departure gate. Get word firsthand.

Thanks to everyone for responding, especially flounder for your first hand account. Gives me some things to think about. It might not be a perfect deal but there aren't many out there anymore. Best of luck to all!

Latest resources

Back