Washington & Private Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawker800

Lets see now. Senators and Congressmen have a problem with comapnines receiving public money operating aircraft. Obama sends a government aircraft, paid for with public money, to transport Mr. Sherrod Brown back to Washington to vote for the stimulus crap. Delayed the vote for five hours in order to do this. Personal transportation. Pot calling the kettle black that is.

Everyone needs to go to Rush Limbaughs' home page and read what he has to say about Cessna's campaign in the Wall Street Journal. I love Rush!

Next time you want to post 10% of the story, you would have a little credibility if you went ahead and told the WHOLE STORY. SO Obama just thought he would send Brown an airplane so he would not have to interrupt a vacation or something like that? My A$$,

So, here is the whole story from Foxnews about why he had a plane sent for him. Brown has an obligation to the people who elected him to vote in the Senate. Should he have just skipped his mother's funeral? Is that what he should have done????????

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/13/senator-returns-mothers-memorial-cast-stimulus-vote/
Sen. Sherrod Brown is returning from his mother's memorial services for what could be the decisive 60th vote needed to send the $787 billion economic stimulus plan to President Barack Obama.
The White House has arranged a plane to fly the Ohio Democrat to Washington Friday night and then back to Ohio immediately after the scheduled vote so he can attend church services and the funeral for his mother in Mansfield Saturday morning, his office said.
Brown's mother, Emily Campbell Brown, died on Feb. 2 at age 88. Funeral arrangements were announced later that week.
Brown was to leave for Washington after visiting hours ended at 8 p.m., landing at Andrews Air Force Base in the D.C. suburbs. The vote will be held open until Brown arrives.
A White House official said government transportation was provided because there were no commercial flights available that would allow Brown to make the vote and attend services memorializing his mother.

Everyone needs to go to Rush Limbaughs' home page and read what he has to say about Cessna's campaign in the Wall Street Journal. I love Rush!
Agreed. There's nothing like a fat junkie so out of touch with the majority of Americans, is there?

Is it his drug addiction that makes him so likable, or the crimes he committed in order to support that habit (Buying illegal drugs from housekeeper, Doctor shopping)?

I know where you are coming from. Junkies make for great people, don't they?

Regardless it is still personal use of a government airplane. Does this now mean that if there are no commercial flights that it is fine to use corporate jets?

Agreed. There's nothing like a fat junkie so out of touch with the majority of Americans, is there?

Is it his drug addiction that makes him so likable, or the crimes he committed in order to support that habit (Buying illegal drugs from housekeeper, Doctor shopping)?

I know where you are coming from. Junkies make for great people, don't they?

LRvsH25B you are my new hero.

Regardless it is still personal use of a government airplane. Does this now mean that if there are no commercial flights that it is fine to use corporate jets?
Hawker800, he is a member of Congress needing to vote on a nearly 1Trillion dollar piece of legislation. Do you not think that warrented special circumstances. Like I said, it's not like he was on vacation. His mother died and he need to pay his respects, as any of us would. Additionally, he has an obligation to the people of his state to vote on where their money is being spent; the people deserve representation.
Hawker800, my issue was not with what you wrote, I actually agree with you, it's not right. With that said, the circumstances were very unique, and I honestly think the White House would have extended that courtesy to anyone in Congress who needed to vote on something of this size, but were in danger of missing it due to one of their parent's funeral. The way you put it out there, it just sounded like the White House was giving out rides on G-IVs as a "thank you" or jsut for sh!ts and grins, and you and i know that was clearly not the case. I think you might get a little more milage in the future in you are honest and upfront about what goes on, instead of posting 1/2 the story. Let people make up their own minds instead of trying to make it up for them by slanting a story by omitting the most important part of it. Thanks.

You gotta admit, the White House sending a government bizjet to pick up a Democratic Senator that proved to be the decisive vote on a controversial spending/stimulus bill, the biggest in the country's history, after dozens of grandstanding hypocrites in Congress and the President himself recently blasted bizjets as a sign of "executive excess", looks mighty bad and extremely elitist.

I agree that the Senator had a responsibility to his constituents and the country and have no problem whatsoever with him using an 89th aircraft to tend to his family affairs...but we're talking about a larger issue with our "lawmakers". For it to be acceptable for Sen. Brown to fly back and forth on a C21 or C37 when there are flights DCA-CLE all day long because of the value of his time and yet for it be irresponsible for CEOs of multi-billion dollar international corporations to use bizjets because of the same concerns....well that's just asinine.

I do hope that Sen. Brown will publically acknowledge the value a "small business jet" provided him both personally and professionally...but I'm not holding my breath.

Hawker800, he is a member of Congress needing to vote on a nearly 1Trillion dollar piece of legislation. Do you not think that warrented special circumstances. Like I said, it's not like he was on vacation. His mother died and he need to pay his respects, as any of us would. Additionally, he has an obligation to the people of his state to vote on where their money is being spent; the people deserve representation.

Then maybe his State should provide the transportation and the People of that state can foot the bill for said transportation.

Would they have "held" the vote open and provided transportation for the "key" vote/voter if Mr. Brown had an R before -Ohio instead of a d?

I agree with Boilerup. I don't mind that Sen. Brown was flown back and forth for what are obviously unusual circumstances. What upsets me is that our president, whom I admire and respect, makes sweeping statements regarding my profession without taking into account the effect it will have on thousands of employees who are fearful for their jobs. Congress is guilty as well. Unfortunately, their words have enourmous influence on the perception of the public at large. Anybody see the mayor of Las Vegas' reaction to Obama's comments on corporate conventions at that city? Once again, I admire and respect Obama, but the mayor was right. Congress and Obama need to watch what they say.

Regards, Wacoflyr

Latest resources

Back