Washington Post on "inflexible" pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CopilotDoug,

That was a great find save for only one thing... The author's name is not included. I don't know if that is the way you found it, or if you lopped it off yourself. The thing is that was one very well worded and thought out letter. Kudos to him! Of course, we are only a few people and completely agree. The people that should be seeing this side of the argument unfortunately will never see it. Way to go journalism degrees! Unabashed qualifications to get large amounts of worthless drivel printed in mass quantities.

I often point out

A major airline pilot is not just paid for what he does on a daily basis. We are also paid for what we have demonstrated (repeatedly) that we have the capability of doing.
Making good decisions and safely landing a broken airplane. The main reason for the safety record of US Airlines is the training and professionalism of the pilots.

Great letter from the former Delta pilot.

Last edited:
It's too bad we are all over-paid, but it's OK for athletes, actors, singers, etc., to make millions and millions. I may never figure that one out...

CopilotDoug,

That was a great find save for only one thing... The author's name is not included. I don't know if that is the way you found it, or if you lopped it off yourself. The thing is that was one very well worded and thought out letter. Kudos to him! Of course, we are only a few people and completely agree. The people that should be seeing this side of the argument unfortunately will never see it. Way to go journalism degrees! Unabashed qualifications to get large amounts of worthless drivel printed in mass quantities.
Sorry Twinbeech, it's the way it was forwarded to me. I was hoping someone on here would recognize it and give the Author credit. And you're right, if people have to ask, they would not understand this issue. An impressive and well thought out letter though.

Guys and Gals,

Just be aware many of these so-called aviation industry experts are paid by the ATA to begrudge labor in public media forums. Keep in mind, this is not an even playing field and is meant by the ATA to rally the public opinion against us, to lower our expectations and eventually wear us down.

It’s the same tired management mantra of how we are under-worked, overpaid pilots that the public has continually bought for the last three decades but we all know to be untrue.

As the industry continues its downslide, expect for the rhetoric to pick-up in the next 6-12 months. Airline managements, hence the ATA, want to lock-in the pay cuts and work rule concessions achieved though bankruptcy in the aftermath of 911.

We need to stick together. All the public wants is a cheap ticket. Our pay is ridiculously low and the work rules are bordering on unsafe.

We deserve more! Nice reply letter to the WP. He does ‘get it!”

AA767AV8TOR

Latest resources

Back