Washington Post on "inflexible" pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XJTAv8r

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/20/AR2008032003525.html?hpid=news-col-blogs
Here's an excerpt:
www.washingtonpost.com said:
...You might think that given the generous pay top pilots earn relative to the number of days they work, and given the precarious financial nature of the industry, pilots would be willing to show some flexibility to assure the long-term success of their companies. You might think that would be especially true in the case of Delta and Northwest, which have offered pilots a nice raise, an ownership stake and a seat on the board of directors if the merger goes through.

But you'd be wrong.

Or perhaps you might think that members of the same national union could negotiate in good faith with each other, with the help of experienced and impartial mediators, to come up with a fair method of combining seniority lists.

Wrong again...

Comments:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/20/AR2008032003525_Comments.html

Last edited:
"It's more complicated to drive a bus to Chicago than a 777 to LAX".....

Wow. I didn't know that. How much training do those bus drivers need? I'm sure glad I didn't get into THAT profession.

:laugh: Awwwww poor little day traders have their speculative little dreams stymied by greedy evil labor! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :crying:

If a merger is right for the Delta and NWA pilots, I hope it happens, and if its not then I hope it doesn't. I could care less about some spoiled, overpaid, underworked, no talent hack, spring loaded pump and dump investor or a pilot envy reporter who couldn't correctly cover something related to our industry if their professional reputation depended on it.

I'm sure both pilot groups have a long list of pro's and con's relating to any potential merger, and I'm sure "pissing off boiler room brats and lazy reporters" just made the list for both, even if only for a little bit. :laugh:

Maybe

"It's more complicated to drive a bus to Chicago than a 777 to LAX".....

Wow. I didn't know that. How much training do those bus drivers need? I'm sure glad I didn't get into THAT profession.
Had a CAL 777 FO on the jumpseat the other day. He said it was the easiest job in the world. They call it "dozing for dollars" there. ;)

Had a CAL 777 FO on the jumpseat the other day. He said it was the easiest job in the world. They call it "dozing for dollars" there. ;)

As long as a fire doesn't break out over the north pole or the engines don't respond to the thrust levers on final approach. Or a passenger starts freaking out in the cabin. Can't just pull over to the side of the road and have a state trooper be their in less than 5.

As long as a fire doesn't break out over the north pole or the engines don't respond to the thrust levers on final approach. Or a passenger starts freaking out in the cabin. Can't just pull over to the side of the road and have a state trooper be their in less than 5.

1. If it was that easy, everbody could and would do it.

2. Anybody can work under ideal conditions.

3. Who is responsible for the image of our profession? We are.

Missed it

Guess you missed the ;) didn't you. :rolleyes:

A pilot posted a pretty comprehensive response to this article in the comments section. Here's one of the replies to that pilot's post:

Hmmmmm said:
BooHoo. Same story about training etc. Many people have to pay for college and extra training. Teachers anyone, and they don't have to bring it up in every single conversation. And they don't get tons of extra pay for it either. Also many regular people have to start with crappy salaries and work their way up. It the standard union sob story. If pilots would get rid of the stupid senority system, they could move around in a free market to the places they want most to work instead of constantly sabatoging employee relations to get what they want...the company be dammned.

Can you tell I have worked at an airline in the past?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/20/AR2008032003525_Comments.html

Latest resources

Back