• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wash-out style of training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to mention I'm sure the DC-8 is not quite as easy to handle hand-flying due to it weighing as much as a few RJs put together.

It might just be easier. I loved hand flying the MD-11 when I was ACMI'ng. Don't sell yourself short. Send in that app and give 'em H*ll.

It might just be easier. I loved hand flying the MD-11 when I was ACMI'ng. Don't sell yourself short. Send in that app and give 'em H*ll.

Yeah I'm just wondering what it is that spurred the recent wash 'em out rumor regarding ATI. That's the last thing I or anyone else needs on their resume. Then again I faired well in my new-hire training at my current company so I think I'll apply.

"I think someone like me would not have much difficulty with any automation such as dealing with an FMS as the RJ is very high tech and filled with that stuff. Rather, the challenge would likely be dealing with the lack of automation after getting accustomed to it all."

The Jurrassic Jet-The trailing edge of technology, bringing yesterdays technology screaming into the 21st century!

I hear you BigPappa. I'm completely aware that today's FO can be your training captain at your next gig. I had a rough couple of canidates that took significant amounts of extra effort. Only one got through. Call it venting. And of course bitching at work in my position is not the smartest thing to do.
Although I do stand by that a positive attitude and an ability to hang your ego at the door is a huge part of success. My latest canidate was highly motivated and had a great attitude, ready to learn all he could. He has made it through in good time even though he had an extra flight or two.

"yelling" at students is almost never an effective teaching method. You might want to examine if your mothod of instruction is part of the problem. It may be that the one who made it through is the one who was most able to overcome the negative effect of your abuse.

If yelling at a student is how someone chooses to harrass,I won't use the word instruct,then do everyone a favor and turn in your letter. I've been a check airman for 20 years and never yelled at a student. I learned how little I learned when "screamers" are the norm when I was a student at Pensacola where screaming, creative cursing (some of it quite funny in retrospect), and clipboard throwing were approved MOIs.
I was under the impression the FAA keeps track of your failure rate and if it gets excessive,20% used to be the threshold, they started looking at your training department.

I was under the impression the FAA keeps track of your failure rate and if it gets excessive,20% used to be the threshold, they started looking at your training department.

If only. ACA's RJ bust rate in the late 90's was somewhere around the 50% level. It went on for years. Only after the off-the-chart training costs came to senior management's attention did the massacre end.

As far as yelling goes, it says a lot more about the instructor's childhood than anything else. Inside they're really crying. :crying:

If only. ACA's RJ bust rate in the late 90's was somewhere around the 50% level. It went on for years. Only after the off-the-chart training costs came to senior management's attention did the massacre end.

As far as yelling goes, it says a lot more about the instructor's childhood than anything else. Inside they're really crying. :crying:

Agreed. At my current gig, the guy that did my CA's oral told me that for the two years prior, the failure rate for new CA's was just a tad over 50%. I don't think the FAA cares.

What was screwed up at ACA was the fact that many of those failures were guys that had ALREADY been CA's on other fleet types, and passed their rides on those previous types just fine.

It's like 8 RJ's put together.

With the hot steel rivets that they used to use in the construction of bridges & skyscrapers. Now remove all the RJ automation and you got it.

The Diesel 8 is basically a flying bridge.

Latest resources

Back