• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was Comair Strike a Success?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A success? Are you kidding me! The Comair strike was nothing short of a bunch of idiots that cost Delta a lot of money! They gained no significant gains to their contract. Comair pukes on here love to throw their shoulders back and state how important they are because they went on strike for 90 days! Big f-ing deal! Anyone can not go to work for 90 days! Anyone! The big question is what did they accomplish! I think if you look carefully you will find that the gains that were made were not significant, and fall far short of the pride they seem to be still pumped up on!

apparently you can't......you guy's have bent over and lubed yourselves EVERY time you got backed into a corner....scope, retirement, benefits, QOL, yada yada........haha....dipsh!t.

Comair's strike was a complete failure. Look at where they are today. Pilots on furlough, losing airplanes/cities. Most of their senior guys there who have had problems with backgrounds and training are lifers there and have had a hold on that airline. Also having the rjdc didn't do them any good. They're in the position today because of the rjdc and poor leadership from their pilot ranks.

Comair's strike was a complete failure. Look at where they are today. Pilots on furlough, losing airplanes/cities. Most of their senior guys there who have had problems with backgrounds and training are lifers there and have had a hold on that airline. Also having the rjdc didn't do them any good. They're in the position today because of the rjdc and poor leadership from their pilot ranks.
not to mention a little help from Mesa/chataqua/Airshuttle/pinnacle/colgan....same thing for Masaba and Air Wisconsin and ExpressJet (all good regionals whose pilots held their ground only to be undercut).

You are without a doubt an idiot's idiot. Delta cost Delta a lot of money due to poor decison making back in 2001. You have to say the Comair guys drew a line in the sand and stuck to what they believed in. In the short term it cost Delta a few hundred million and in the long term even today Comair is paying for it.

When have the pilots at Delta ever drew a line in the sand and said enough. Boy, you sure have protected your scope. How many more mainline pilots would be on your seniority list if you had stood up and said enough. Just take a look at concourse A&B in ATL. Sure are lots more RJ's parked at "mainline" gates than there used to be. Lets take a look at CVG this time next year, how many mainline planes will be parked at concourse A & B.

Even the Northwest guys kept their pension during bankruptcy. Why, because they have the balls you could only dream of having when you grow up. How's that pension working for you now at big D. Delta is still a great company, it is not the end all be all of aviation. History repeats itself and this merger will be no different. You will roll over like you have time and time again and give into management. You carpehead could take a lesson from the Comair guys. They have never bent over for management and taken table scraps while management ate the seven course meal.

Comair struck to get pretty much nothing more than what they had obtained pre-strike. Many of the strikers made more on strike benefits on the back of their fellow ALPA pilots than they did flying the line. That is pretty much the Comair mantra--better living through jumping off the backs of fellow ALPA pilots.

As for Delta pilots "rolling over" all the time, I beg to differ. NWA pilots kept their FROZEN pension--big difference from a pension---as they did not have the lump sum option that Delta pilots had. Therefore, there was not a large run on their pension bank during their BK--leaving it fatally underfunded. As it were, I ended up getting about 250K in a lump sum with over 2 decades to turn it into a retirement in addition to what will be 13% DC. None of which is subject to termination in BK. The NWA pilots will have to stare that in the eye until their dying day.

As for RJs parked in the A and B concourses, big deal. I think that it is great seeing as it is a pain in the a$$ to walk over to C and D concourses. The big question should be: How many of those A and B concourse airplanes in ATL and CVG are COMAIR airplanes? Or ASA for that matter? Basically it is the big, higher paying metal parked at them--few of which are Comair and ASA. Now we will have Compass and Mesaba in the mix. Oh dear.

I'm just sayin....

Was the Yugo a great car?

Last edited:
Any chance that the Comair strike would have a lasting effect disappeared with the concessionary contract ratified at Mesa shortly thereafter. Yeah, I know.....Bwaaaahhh!!....9/11....Bwaaahhh!! I think that Horizon managed to hold on to hold on to most of what they got after Comair signed, but the DCI feeding frenzy eliminated any gains the industry as a whole could have seen.

Was the Yugo a great car?

Yes. Well, it was great to use for other things other than transportation. :)

http://www.jtruck.net/misc/4x4cars/full/4x4yugo.jpg

http://learnsomethingnewtoday.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/yugo.jpg

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/lighter.jpg

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/foosball.jpg

I actually had a friend that bought one and turned it into a dedicated track car. Gutted the car and installed a Honda Vtec engine, Moton Racing dampers, Eibach Racing springs and full roll cage. Car had 220 hp and weighed 1400 lbs.

Last edited:
I have the utmost respect for the CMR pilots that were willing to walk out and fight for a fair contract, but I still question whether the strike was truly a "success." I've never heard JC Lawson actually explain what significant gains were accomplished after those 89 days. From what I can tell, very little was gained. Yes, it was proven that the CMR pilots had the balls to stand up for themselves, but what actual contractual improvements were obtained during the strike? Very little, I believe.

The Conair strike was the coolest. We celebrate it every single leg practically on the 70. Then we bash delta and pat ourselves on the back while we watch every other DCI pilot move on to career success that evades the bottom 2/3rds of our glorious ALPA list. Horay Alpa... Where do I sign up for the next one?

At the time, yes. Now, no. Delta might as well issue uniforms with targets on the backs for Comair crews. The excess of 50 seaters in a merged Delta is crazy. Somebody is going, I fear, and I have a feeling Delta will be more than happy to make an example out of Comair as repayment for striking in 2001. Not saying it's right, just feel like that is what will happen.

Latest resources

Back