• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was Comair Strike a Success?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comair's strike was a complete failure. Look at where they are today. Pilots on furlough, losing airplanes/cities. Most of their senior guys there who have had problems with backgrounds and training are lifers there and have had a hold on that airline. Also having the rjdc didn't do them any good. They're in the position today because of the rjdc and poor leadership from their pilot ranks.

So is it Comair's fault that everyone is furloughing, losing airplanes/cities?

United's "Summer of Love" in 2000 was also a great victory for labor -- briefly. What does it all mean? Management has the upper hand and I don't see that changing any time soon. Sorry for the cynicism.

They won the battle, but lost the war. It opened Delta's eyes to the power of any one of their regionals, and they resolved to never let that happen again. Delta has 4 regionals, and we did not invade each other's territories: ASA in the south, Biz Ex in the northeast, Comair in the midwest, and Skywest in the west.

BizEx was gone at that point. As far as "invading each others territories", it's not/wasn't the regional that have/had the say over who flies/flew where.

Management has the upper hand and I don't see that changing any time soon. Sorry for the cynicism.

There's a very thin (in any) line between cynicism and reality whenever airline management i discussed.

Do you think it was a success or not? Given the fact there are around 45 to 60 DCI carriers now was the CMR strike a good thing. They are smaller now and have taken pretty big concessions. Did they stick it to management???

Define success. Can success be fleeting?

I can't believe how many people jumped into this obvious attempt at flame. 15 pages minimum.

Apparently your old contract was a dismal failure too because it cost Delta a lot of money - after all, you took how big of a pay cut? 50%, something like that, and gave away more scope? Ouch!

what has every major/legacy airline given back, 40%+ pay and work rules, ask UAL , AAL, USA, really get a grip, all airlines have suffered since 9-11

A success? Are you kidding me! The Comair strike was nothing short of a bunch of idiots that cost Delta a lot of money! They gained no significant gains to their contract. Comair pukes on here love to throw their shoulders back and state how important they are because they went on strike for 90 days! Big f-ing deal! Anyone can not go to work for 90 days! Anyone! The big question is what did they accomplish! I think if you look carefully you will find that the gains that were made were not significant, and fall far short of the pride they seem to be still pumped up on!

you obviously were on the other side and gave NO support, the contract, although not perfect, as any contract ends up, increased salary, work rules, not a true rig, but improvement, retirement which did not even exist, their were many improvements, which none you are aware of, nor really care about. really, a work group like yours that has never been in a labor dispute, I am glad you guys are merging with NWA, maybe in your next few years there you may learn something from them.

the contract improved the working environment for many other regionals at that time. nothing stays the same around here, so it was good at the time, Air Wisky did well after as well as did Atlantic Coast.

it didn't hurt you, so why are you really in this conversation

Comair struck to get pretty much nothing more than what they had obtained pre-strike. Many of the strikers made more on strike benefits on the back of their fellow ALPA pilots than they did flying the line. That is pretty much the Comair mantra--better living through jumping off the backs of fellow ALPA pilots.

what nerve, A strike "better living through jumping off the backs of fellow ALPA pilots."

this isn't what ALPA pilots like 20+year UAL guys, DHL, USA, NWA, UPS(IPA), had to say. On the contrary.

"Nothing more than what they had pre-strike" WHAT?
what an idiot, salary alone went from 12yr CA $69.00 to $112.00.
etc....

what nerve, A strike "better living through jumping off the backs of fellow ALPA pilots."

this isn't what ALPA pilots like 20+year UAL guys, DHL, USA, NWA, UPS(IPA), had to say. On the contrary.

"Nothing more than what they had pre-strike" WHAT?
what an idiot, salary alone went from 12yr CA $69.00 to $112.00.
etc....

Those carriers did not jump off of the backs of other pilots with lawsuits. Additionally, there were many Comair pilots who actually got a pay raise via strike benefits. Why would they do anything but the "noble" cause when it was so lucrative.

As for the pay, we are talking about the STRIKE here, not the contract. Tell me, oh wise one, where were the negotiations before the strike and after the strike. I'll save you the research--pretty much the same place.

The STRIKE was a failure. The contractual negotiations up to that point were a large success.

Latest resources

Back