• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Warren Buffett to Buy Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am really not gloating. I am just trying to keep those who are interested, informed. This doesn't really directly effect NJA. Just good to know info.

NetJets Europe Buys a German Airport

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NetJets Europe has agreed to acquire Egelsbach Airport near Frankfurt, Germany’s financial center, for an undisclosed sum. The deal–subject to final approval by the local municipal authorities that own the airport company, Hessische Flugplatz GmbH Egelsbach (HFG)–is expected to be completed next month. Located 16 miles from downtown Frankfurt, Egelsbach will continue to be available to other business aircraft operators. The new owner will also honor the existing annual movements limit of 100,000. NetJets will be investing in IFR equipment, since the airport is currently approved only for VFR operations. However, it will not seek to remove the airport’s existing ban on night operations after 7 p.m. or 8 p.m., depending on the season. The fractional provider has said that its main goal is to ensure convenient access to the Frankfurt Rhein Main region since Frankfurt’s busy international hub airport is almost completely dominated by scheduled airline traffic. The terms of the acquisition specifically exclude the possibility of allowing airline operations at Egelsbach. The airport will continue to be operated by HFG, which will be directly owned by NetJets.[/FONT]

Perhaps Mike Jenvey (NJE pilot) or someone else can provide some additional context for this airport acquisition.

I read on another forum (yes, I do seek outside information believe it or not) that NJE and Lufthansa did not renew their collaboration contract because NJE felt it could do better on its own with German share owners (without sharing the pie). Buying the airport was a move to ensure that NJE had access to owners and potential owners in the Frankfurt area. It was a defensive move. Evidently Lufthansa has started up its own charter operation (using XLS and CJ3s) because of the success it had from the NJE partnership. However, Lufthansa has neither the built-in customer relationships that NJE has developed over the last 5 years nor a well-known Marquis Card program for block charter - so, it is at a disadvantage relative to NJE. In sum, buying the airport would secure Netjets' (including NJE, NJA, NJI and NJME) ability to access and serve wealthy Frankfurters going forward.

Is that correct Mike, or did I miss the mark? Will the runway be extended and able to accomodate Gulfstreams, etc. in the future? Here's a picture of the airport:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/...C_&photo_nr=2&prev_id=1485769&next_id=1482240

How far away is the airport from downtown Frankfurt? What are the benefits of using it vs. FRA?

Last edited:
johnsonrod, the gist of what you say with regard to the LH Private Jet is correct. However, I believe that there were significant contractual reasons (that I can't specify here unfortunately) why NJE decided not to renew.

Egelsbach was not just for the Frankfurt catchment area, as the city caters for a huge chunk of the German/European business sector - as well as those who want to connect with LH for their "first class" international airline (that was the basic premise for the original set-up with LH). As to location, it is about 10 - 15 mins drive from Egelsbach to the main airport, so I guess very similar distance to down-town.

As for aircraft types, I'm not sure of the landing performance required for the Gulfstream. The runway is some 1400 metres (about 4600 ft - but displaced threshold on 27 because of the train line), so if they could add 200 - 300m (650 - 1000 ft), then I guess we are in the GV ball-park (Northolt near London Heathrow is 1687 metres - 5500 ft, & used a lot by the "G" world).

johnsonrod, the gist of what you say with regard to the LH Private Jet is correct. However, I believe that there were significant contractual reasons (that I can't specify here unfortunately) why NJE decided not to renew.

Egelsbach was not just for the Frankfurt catchment area, as the city caters for a huge chunk of the German/European business sector - as well as those who want to connect with LH for their "first class" international airline (that was the basic premise for the original set-up with LH). As to location, it is about 10 - 15 mins drive from Egelsbach to the main airport, so I guess very similar distance to down-town.

As for aircraft types, I'm not sure of the landing performance required for the Gulfstream. The runway is some 1400 metres (about 4600 ft - but displaced threshold on 27 because of the train line), so if they could add 200 - 300m (650 - 1000 ft), then I guess we are in the GV ball-park (Northolt near London Heathrow is 1687 metres - 5500 ft, & used a lot by the "G" world).

Our usual minimum for G-IV/450/V/550 is 5000 feet (yes, we routinely operate to SMO and CRQ both in the 4990 foot range) but that is in dry-only condition. It generally takes about 5800 feet in the IV/450 and a little less in the V/550 to operate comfortably from a wet runway. Our ABSOLUTE minimum is 4500 feet with the right conditions and management approval. All four aircraft are easily CAPABLE of operating from 4600 feet under the right conditions but NJI policy has always been conservative. My guess is we'd have to see at least a 1000 foot extension to operate regularly from Egelsbach.

BTW, we HATE going to Northolt for lots of reasons.

Useful info about the "G" - thanks.

<<<< BTW, we HATE going to Northolt for lots of reasons. >>>>

Now now, I used to go there in my RAF days - watch out or I'll get you arrested there! :D

I guess you guys don't do standby at Northolt - if you have some spare time, try to visit ATC - or even the NetJets Technical Services, our own maintenance organization.

One of our crews nearly WAS arrested there. And a passenger detained for HOURS. Hence, our dislike.

<<<< One of our crews nearly WAS arrested there. And a passenger detained for HOURS. >>>>

Gotta follow their "cute" rules - most are implemented by the RAF, so the FBO has no control over them. Don't take your own chox away - one crew did this some while ago & the aircraft rolled towards another!! Private (pax) vehicles are not allowed on the apron as, you've guessed it, one of them hit an aircraft. If there is an RAF VVIP flight departing (wave nicely to the Queen as she arrives!), if you get instructions to shut down your APU, then don't argue! You can't refill your potable water on arrival if you are departing in greater than 24 hrs = Health & Safety!! :laugh: Don't walk on the apron without a yellow hi-viz vest, that's another biiiiig no-no!! ;) Want any more......??? :D

Likewise, all crew & pax names have to be pre-cleared (about 24 hrs in advance) by the Police Special Branch. If you change any names & fly in, watch out!! If you have been good, Northolt Ops will sometimes let you escape with less than 24 hrs notice (e.g. ferry to Luton or Farnborough), but you can't plan on it.

You weren't operating into Northolt yesterday? N128AB brought in a "British" guy who had been on the holiday camp on Cuba - bet his paperwork was sorted!! :rolleyes:

Mike, I am familiar with most of the "peculiarities" at Northholt....like "petrol" and "lorry" ;). We're now taking up space in the forward lav with those VERY fashionable reflecto-vests just so we can go to Northolt without aggravating the RAF. They're generally nice chaps but their hands are tied by layers and layers of ineffectual bureaucracy.....kind of like what's coming here in the States. :uzi:

Latest resources

Back