• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Warrant Officer to Officer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well right now I swear into the Guard on the 3rd. From there I finish my packet for WOCS which entails me taking my flight physical and AFAST within the next month or two. I'm going to Basic in Jan. 2010 hopefully WOCS right after that and depending on how backed up flight training is I go there. I have no idea if I'm going to get FW or RW. The goal is FW but I'll take RW for a little bit, but the main goal is get into FW asap.

O btw the reason why I want to do Warrant first is because their job is to fly I want to rack up the flight time. I'd like to do the whole full officer eventually though maybe with Marines if they will take them. I don't the future holds so much right now I just wan't to be a WO in the Army flying something.

O btw the reason why I want to do Warrant first is because their job is to fly I want to rack up the flight time. I'd like to do the whole full officer eventually though maybe with Marines if they will take them. I don't the future holds so much right now I just wan't to be a WO in the Army flying something.

Well, stick with that plan and run with it. I am sure you'll have no problem getting into the program. I understand they need to fill slots.

Heck, going back in from retirement and flying fixed wing was my plan if I saw a furlough. We had to furlough no one and I am sitting with 1,200ish behind me so I didn't have to pull a Bret Favre and come out of retirement.

Don't Join the Army thinking you are going to get a FW transition. The average guy MIGHT get picked for a FW slot between the 10yr to infinity mark. After flight school work on your FW flying on your own time and dime.

I went enlisted to officer..Wish I had stayed an NCO. Just enjoyed the NCO role better. It suited me a lot more than officership.

Don't Join the Army thinking you are going to get a FW transition. The average guy MIGHT get picked for a FW slot between the 10yr to infinity mark. After flight school work on your FW flying on your own time and dime.

Word on the street is a big need for C12 drivers I think someone on the board was actually telling me this anyone wanna chime in on this matter?

agreed...you cannot get into RW with the intent on moving to FW, there are about a million guys in front of you that will get the small number of FW slots well before you even hear about em.

...best advice i ever got was from my very first drill sergeant many moons ago "get what you want out the the military, cause they are dam sure gonna get what they want out of you" :laugh:

(hopefully that answers QOL's question)

and sardaddy...you kinda made my point for me, but you took the feather ruffling better than QOL did ;)
...all in good fun gents, all in good fun :beer:

I know it was all in good fun kingair and I wish what I told you was actually all I did. Having been an Apache pilot prior to this job, I know we have it good compared to all the other services. In fact I wince every time I have to go to joint training as I quickly remember all the crap I had to deal with in the Army.

But I will say that over the years in the Coast Guard, I have taken many newly transferred pilots from the other services including the Army and had them nearly in tears after a high stress rescue. We all have a job to do, and we all make fun of everyone elses job. It comes with the territory and I was not for one second offended. I have way thicker skin than that. If you think warrant officers are brutal in their comments to each other, stick around a few CG pilots for a while. We beat each other with the verbal equivalent of aluminum bats.

I have to say flying helicopters as a dumb a** 19 year old no nothing WO1 was much more fun than flying jets in the USAF or corporate work. But the hotels and the pay is much better on the Gulfstream than tent city at Fort Campbell, Cairo West or Al's Garage. At the time it didn't seem too bad, but once you get older and get spoiled, it would be hard to go back.

Latest resources

Back