Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jarhead

master of my domain
Although I personally don't like the term "small plane" for a vintage WWII P-51 Mustang, that is how KSTP-TV reported it this afternoon. I saw the footage on TV, and the airlpane looked like a total loss. It crashed in someones backyard, and the pilot was airlifted to a hospital by Helicopter, and was reported to have "severe head injuries" Below is a cut and paste off the www.kstp.com web site.......

Small plane crashes during air show in Bay City, Wisconsin
Updated: 05-29-2004 05:27:13 PM

A small WWII era plane crashed during an air show in Red Wing this afternoon.

Investigators say the P-51 Mustang made an off-airport emergency landing about 2:10 p.m.

The pilot was airlifted to an area hospital. His condition is not known at this time.

The air show was called off for the rest of the day, but will go on as scheduled tomorrow.

The FAA is on the scene investigating.

P-51 down

Yep. Just answered my own question by watching the kstp.com video. It appears to be a CAF bird. Prayers with the pilot.

Crosscheck

It's a commemorative air force P51D based at KSGS (South St. Paul, Fleming). One of the original tuskegee airmen planes

I have a friend who restores WW2 aircraft. Form what I could see in the video and from what I have seen in his shop, it can be resotred. I have always been amazed at some of the AC they bring back to life.

update

Last update: May 30, 2004 at 4:13 PM
Woodbury air show pilot dies
Associated Press
May 31, 2004DEADPILOT0531

A pilot died today at Regions Hospital of injuries suffered in the crash of an historic airplane he was flying in the Wings of Freedom Airshow near Red Wing.

Donald Hinz, 60, of Woodbury, was admitted to the St. Paul hospital after the Saturday afternoon crash, said hospital spokesman Sara McFee.

Hinz was flying a rare World War II-era P-51C Mustang fighter aircraft when he attempted an emergency landing about a mile west of Red Wing Regional Airport, which sits across the river from Red Wing in Bay City, Wis.

Hinz was an experienced pilot and a member of the Minnesota Wing Commemorative Air Force, which puts on the annual air show. He also coordinated the nine-year restoration of the plane he was flying. The P-51C is considered the signature aircraft of the Tuskegee Airmen, the nation's first black military pilots.
Wreckage
Colin Beltz
Red Wing Republican Eagle/ap

The Red Tail Project, based at South St. Paul's Fleming Field, restored the plane to help educate people about the accomplishments of the Tuskegee Airmen. The group said the plane was one of only two flying ``C'' models in existence.

Tim Barzen, a Commemorative Air Force member, said the pilot was performing flybys when the engine failed. The P-51 crashed in a semi-rural area about a mile west of the airport where the show was being held, he said.

Barzen said there are a few houses in the area, but the plane didn't strike any of them and no one else was hurt in the landing.

There was no explosion or fire, although the plane's wings snapped off, Barzen said. The plane was a two-seater, but only the pilot was aboard, he said.

A crowd of about 2,500 was at the air show, but a stand of trees blocked their view of the plane's crash-landing, he said.

Brad Lang, also a member of the Commemorative Air Force, said power lines near the accident site weren't touched, indicating that the landing must have been somewhat controlled.

``The airplane wasn't spinning. It wasn't out of control,'' Lang said.

Doug Rozendaal, a Commemorative Air Force member from Iowa visiting the show, said the plane had been flown extensively from coast to coast.

``I flew it last night (Friday night) and it flew flawlessly,'' Rozendaal said.

and more.....

The local CBS affiliate (WCCO-TV) just interviewed some friends and professional aquaintences of the dead pilot from the crash. One of the Tuskeegee airmen who restores these vintage aircraft stated that the plane is a total loss, and can not be fixed. That leaves only one flying model C left in the world.

On another note, the 60 year old pilot who died in the crash, has 2 sons whoe are current, active fighter pilots in the Marine Corps. They both were able to make it to their dad's bed side in the hospital before he passed away, and were able to bid him farewell on his journey West.

My condolences to the family.
I went to high school with the pilot's two sons, my mother is in business with his wife, and my father flew in the Navy with him. Great Guy. He be missed around the Twin Cities

Latest resources

Back