• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do
Not
Fly
For
Free

Okay, okay, we get the picture! (When Daviator made that ill-phrased comment, I knew a platoon of flamethrowers would show up)

I have apps in at all of them, I haven't heard anything yet.
I went to american eagle seminar and they were only lowering mins for flight school grads.
I see you have low time as well, are you flying for anyone?

Not yet. In a month I'll have my commercial-multi-instrument and be at about 350/25. Although I know those are extremely low, I may apply with one of the aforementioned regionals (TSA/PDT/PSA) to try and get some 121 time, even though by all accounts, QOL is abysmal at those places.

You might to want to check out Pan Am Academy's program. Cheaper than buying a block of ME time.

http://www.panamacademy.com/efop.asp

I wonder how much they charge???

Try getting a job at a 135 gig. I did that when I was low time. Helped wash airplanes, helped with maint. In return, da bossman let me fly part 91 legs until I had enough time to fly full time with him. Do what u gotta do

Just dont fly for free if that hasn't been said yet:beer:

good luck

Hey Now!!!!

So, if you don't have enough time or tickets - here is my serious advice:

1) Talk to every local FBO in your area and let them know of your goals, talk to the flight school owner not the sandal wearing underemployed flight instructor
2) Offer to wash planes, and do general detailing like vacuum the interior, clean windshields and whatever for possible credit toward flying. Consider offering to mow the airport grass, answer phones, etc for credit and a small paycheck.
3) Talk to the mechanics in the hanger and see if you could apprentice under them - again work it out with the FBO manager for credit and a minor ammt of pay that could equal a minimum wage or more.
4) Seriously consider driving the Pizza delivery truck - those guys make as much in a night as I do on a 4 day trip. My local Pizza Hut dope addict made over $400.00 last friday night... that $400.00 will get you a couple more of hours behind the cowling - you can do this flight training over months and even years.
5) Do not take out a loan for flying costs!!!! Ask for a little help from mom and pop for a low to no interest rate. Sure they would be happier if you were a Piano Player in a Whore House, but being a pilot isn't the worst thing your kid could do.

Basically, I think you should get your body to an airport and if nothing else... hang out a lot and introduce yourself - get to know the local pilots and offer to help, ask to learn. All pilots understand the airport bum, and most of us will try to help him out(and even her on occasion, sometimes more frequently to be honest). By simply being around you can have access to learn more about planes than most pilots, attend a few free groundschool lessons by sitting in the back, and might even find a CFI willing to help you out on a slow day while he builds time / splits time with you.

There are tons of oppurtunities, and if I can help you come up with ideas please PM me. Oh, one more thing..... don't fly for free.

Your first year as an regional FO will feel pretty much like you are flying for free..........:angryfire

Thanks for all the posts.
Currently I work at the local airport 45 miles away, about 2-3 days a week for low pay. I get to shake a lot of hands.
I am 43 and starting a second career mostly out of necessity. I had planned to have more time before I had to start seriously trying to get a flying job.
So I can't do the mom and pop loan thing. They have less money than I do anyhow.
Yes this is a dream of mine, and I have a lot of drive and energy so I can make it happen.

That being said don't everybody jump in here and tell me how much regionals suck.
They will help me accomplish my goal, I'll get turbine time and then I can apply to a local corp and fly a lear for $60K + a year. There is currently a job available for a f/o in a lear salary range $57-$83K per year and Bennies.
Requirements 3000TT and 500Turbine.
So I need to get in somewhere. I live in a small town in NC and all the bigger airports are over an hour from me.

Latest resources

Back